Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 9HP Snow Blower Will Not Start

01-02-09, 04:39 PM   #1  
Craftsman 9HP Snow Blower Will Not Start

Hello-

I currently have a Craftsman 9HP with a tecumseh engine, 536.887995
There are two issues I am having; first the electric start does absolutely nothing, so not sure if i fried the starter somehow?

second - i get absolutely nothing when hand pulling to start. I replaced the spark plug and tested to see if there is spark and there is. I removed the spark plug after priming several times and pulling to start and seems like the plug has a little gas on it. I press the drain valve on the carb and gas flows out, but not sure what other little things I can try. Any help would be appreciated as it is supposed to snow 12" tomorrow

Sponsored Links

MN

01-02-09, 06:04 PM   #2  
I had exactly the same thing with my 8HP. I fried the starter but it will be a simple fix replacing the bendix.

Insofar as your problem with non-starting, what I did was remove the carb, cleaned it with a good quality carb cleaner, drained all the old gas out of the tank and replaced it with fresh gas. Use this manual from the webpage as a guide.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

01-02-09, 06:34 PM   #3  
Ok thanks for the reply I should be able to clean the carb tomorrow morning and let you know what happens.

Also,
I should be able to pull to start even though the electric starter is not working, is that correct?

01-02-09, 07:17 PM   #4  
A well tuned engine should start with a manual pull, all of mine do. As far as electric start, no noise could mean 2 things, bad motor or bad switch. Did you try tapping it with a hammer when you hold the start button? You could buy a used one off of ebay for 50+ bucks or locally on a news group/forsale site for around the same price. I had an extra one a month ago, sold it for $45 bucks. I have 2 spare switch assemblies if you need one, if that is the problem.

NH

01-03-09, 06:33 AM   #5  
Posted By: mjm0125 Hello-

I currently have a Craftsman 9HP with a tecumseh engine, 536.887995
There are two issues I am having; first the electric start does absolutely nothing, so not sure if i fried the starter somehow?

second - i get absolutely nothing when hand pulling to start. I replaced the spark plug and tested to see if there is spark and there is. I removed the spark plug after priming several times and pulling to start and seems like the plug has a little gas on it. I press the drain valve on the carb and gas flows out, but not sure what other little things I can try. Any help would be appreciated as it is supposed to snow 12" tomorrow
You should only prime it twice. That is all you need to start it. I had 1 customer this year that could not get his snowblower started. He was priming it until gas ran out of the carb, thus flooding it.
Your primer hose could be cracked or broken. Check by removing the hose from the carb. Place your finger over the end of the hose. Now press the primer. You should NOT be able to fully press the primer in all the way. If you can, you have a cracked or broken hose and need to replace it.

MN

01-03-09, 08:03 AM   #6  
Your snowblower will start regardless of whether the starter works or not. Pay very close attention to how you install the needle valve spring. The open end must face the choke end of the carb, and the float bowl must be installed so that the well faces away from the needle valve.

Search this Thread