Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

10 year old MTD Snow Blower


torpedo203's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51

01-02-09, 05:14 PM   #1  
10 year old MTD Snow Blower

Just thought I'd share this with all of you
Last year my Snow Blower was barely able to throw snow far enough to be useful, especially the wet, heavy snow/slush we can have around here.
Engine speed, governor function and everything else was fine.
Mentioned it to a friend of mine and said that I was looking for a new machine - he said, you don't need a new machine, you need to fix up your old one.
He mentioned he had done this mod to his machine and it was like a miracle.
Here's the mod - I cut and bent some 3/8 dia. steel spikes to fit the contour of my impeller blades, stick welded them to the blades perimeter and ground them down carefully so that the clearance between impeller blades and impeller housing now is only about 30 thou. This also drastically decreased the clearance between the front of the impeller blades and the back of the auger.
Even on brand new machines clearances are pretty sloppy and can be up to 1/2 inch which is where mine was before the mod.
The difference in performance is stunning
Throwing distance has increased almost 3 times and heavy wet snow or even icy slush is no longer an issue. It wouldn't surprise me if I could empty a deep puddle of water with my Snow Blower now.
My buddy claims he did it.
This is the best mod I've ever done to any of my equipment
There are kits available where you bolt rubber paddles onto the impeller blades to decrease the clearance although I can't see the rubber blades lasting very long hitting the impeller housing. Especially when picking up gravel here and there.
I've used my blower 6 or 7 times so far this winter and I am a very happy camperBeer 4U2

 
Sponsored Links
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,567
GA

01-03-09, 12:57 AM   #2  
Sounds nice! I don't know much of anything about snowblowers and hope to keep it that way ... but mods are cool, especially when they work as well as yours did. Thanks for the tip.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
indypower's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 754
NH

01-03-09, 06:09 AM   #3  
Posted By: torpedo203 Just thought I'd share this with all of you
Last year my Snow Blower was barely able to throw snow far enough to be useful, especially the wet, heavy snow/slush we can have around here.
Engine speed, governor function and everything else was fine.
Mentioned it to a friend of mine and said that I was looking for a new machine - he said, you don't need a new machine, you need to fix up your old one.
He mentioned he had done this mod to his machine and it was like a miracle.
Here's the mod - I cut and bent some 3/8 dia. steel spikes to fit the contour of my impeller blades, stick welded them to the blades perimeter and ground them down carefully so that the clearance between impeller blades and impeller housing now is only about 30 thou. This also drastically decreased the clearance between the front of the impeller blades and the back of the auger.
Even on brand new machines clearances are pretty sloppy and can be up to 1/2 inch which is where mine was before the mod.
The difference in performance is stunning
Throwing distance has increased almost 3 times and heavy wet snow or even icy slush is no longer an issue. It wouldn't surprise me if I could empty a deep puddle of water with my Snow Blower now.
My buddy claims he did it.
This is the best mod I've ever done to any of my equipment
There are kits available where you bolt rubber paddles onto the impeller blades to decrease the clearance although I can't see the rubber blades lasting very long hitting the impeller housing. Especially when picking up gravel here and there.
I've used my blower 6 or 7 times so far this winter and I am a very happy camperBeer 4U2
Can you post a photo of the impeller? I would like to see it.

 
zzzz1486's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 335
MI

01-03-09, 02:38 PM   #4  
I'd like to see a photo too. Why did you use 3/8" spikes as opposed to 1/8" plate or something flat?

 
torpedo203's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51

01-03-09, 04:12 PM   #5  
I'm a dud when it comes posting pics on a forum. I know you have to put them on some kind of a sharing site and I don't know how
Pics won't show anything anyway because I repainted the whole impeller with some left over orange spray paint.
The impeller looks just like it did before the mod because after adding the material by welding I carefully ground the welds and material to conform to the blade shape. The impeller looks just like it did before save the color.
The only difference is that the "after the mod" impeller blades have a slightly larger diameter because of the built up edges.
I used 3/8 spikes simply because I had some laying around my garage.
The material can be anything that's a mild, easy to weld steel and can really be any shape ( round, square, rect.) because you will have to grind and shape it to the housing anyway.
One of these days I will have to learn how to post pics

 
Search this Thread