Ride-A-Mo - Horrific Rubber Burning While Running

Old 01-02-09, 06:34 PM
Ride-A-Mo - Horrific Rubber Burning While Running

I have a Craftsman LT 1000 rider mower. Model: 917.272920 I bought it used from a friend - Its a little over 2 years old and we've had a few issues. At first, the lawn mower would crap out after 20 minutes of cutting the grass. I then replaced the air filter... same issue... then changed the oil - no change - changed the spark plugs... it started fine... BUT then a HORRIBLE "rubber or oil" smell burning causes the lawn mower to smoke excessively... I then replace both belts under the lawn mower and then it would it start at all.. I've just replaced the battery - it took a minute or two, but it started up and the horrific "rubber or oil" burning smell with a lot of smoke began and continued to burn and smell, so turned off the lawn mower and now I'm scratching my head as to what to do next. What is burning that is smells like oil or rubber? I think it might be the 'main' "rotor" that changes the main belt.. does that need WD-40...? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brian_Mar; 01-02-09 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 07:10 PM
Did the oil smell start after you changed the oil or was it there since day one?

Old 01-02-09, 07:37 PM
you either got the belts installed wrong or one came off as you were starting the mower.

Murphy was an optimist.

Old 01-02-09, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by cpgixxer View Post
Did the oil smell start after you changed the oil or was it there since day one?
after i changed the oil the smell became more apparent

Old 01-03-09, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the oil overfull? What weight and kind of oil did you use? Did you spill oil on the muffler? Have you checked the belts?

Old 01-03-09, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Is the oil overfull? What weight and kind of oil did you use? Did you spill oil on the muffler? Have you checked the belts?
I believe I put in the right amount of 'small engine' oil... i'll check the muffler and the belts today or tomorrow... anything specifically I should look for? Should I turn it on again and see where exactly the smoke is coming from?

Old 01-03-09, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Brian_Mar View Post
I believe I put in the right amount of 'small engine' oil... i'll check the muffler and the belts today or tomorrow... anything specifically I should look for? Should I turn it on again and see where exactly the smoke is coming from?
Depends on what the smoke looked like. Overfilling oil can cause what you describe, is it a screw in type stick and did you screw it in to check the level. Overfilling can cause blow by on the rings, I had a car I overfilled once by 1/2 a litre, I looked like 007 driving down the road.

Old 01-04-09, 05:55 PM
ALL - Thank you for your help! I've drained some of the oil and cleaned out some 'gunk' around the oil tube which I believe was burning under the engine itself... ALSO.. the secondary belt must have been installed wrong because it was burnt.. I removed it and will install a new one this summer (correctly this time)... it's now running at PEAK performance.. thank you again for all of your suggestions.. happy new year!

Search this Thread