Craftsman 3.8HP Snowblower need help

Old 01-02-09, 07:57 PM
Craftsman 3.8HP Snowblower need help

I have a Craftsman 3.8 HP snowblower. It is a 4 cycle engine. It has a 21" path and mfg date is 2003.
My blower will not stay running. I can spray starting fluid in it and it will run until the fluid is gone. I have already cleaned the carborater. It is getting gas up to the carb. Any suggestion or help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 08:03 PM
How did you clean the carb? Did you put in a kit. A machine that won't stay running after the fluid is gone isn't getting gas, you may think just because the carb bowl is filling with gas that the carb is working, this isn't necessarily the case. The carb need to be soaked in carb cleaner and blown out with compressed air or at best taken to a shop and have it cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner. Most people don't even own a compressor to blow out a carb, just got one for christmas. All it takes is a small amount of dirt in the circuits of these carbs and it's game over. Lemme know if this helps.

Old 01-02-09, 08:20 PM
I blew it out with compressed air but I did not soak it.

Old 01-03-09, 09:14 AM
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl(careful with the bowl gasket), release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Old 01-03-09, 02:33 PM
Thanks. I already did what you suggested and it still doesn't work.

Old 01-03-09, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by thotrod View Post
Thanks. I already did what you suggested and it still doesn't work.
Does this machine have a screw and spring on the bottom of the carb for adjustment? Does it have a screw and spring on the the side of the carb for idle adjustment or is it one of these capped non adjustable jobs?

Old 01-03-09, 07:30 PM
It as a capped on non adjustable job

Old 01-03-09, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by thotrod View Post
It as a capped on non adjustable job
Go to a small engine shop and get yourself a rebuild kit. The machine is 5 years old and has a non adjustable carb, with the adjustable carbs you can usually adjust them to get them running. I have put many kits in these carbs and they make a night and day difference on how these machines run, you won't regret the $18 you will spend.

Old 01-03-09, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your help. I will do this. Thanks again

Search this Thread