Engine conversion question

Old 01-03-09, 07:39 AM
Engine conversion question

Hello everyone

I have an opportunity to buy a mint frame, I currently have two engine choices in my garage, both single shaft 8 and 10 hp tecumseh's. The blown engine (8hp tec) on the frame is dual shaft with the aux pulley for the drive. Is it possible to use the cover and cam from the dead engine to convert my 8hp to have that second pulley or has someone successfully rigged up a single shaft motor to one of these machine that was built with dual shafts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 02:38 PM
just cut off the aux. pulley with a sawzall. if you dont want do that, chances are you can swap the cranks and covers and eliminate that aux. output shaft. its tough to say if it will work without know any engine numbers, but ive done something very similar before.

Old 01-03-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jacks911 View Post
just cut off the aux. pulley with a sawzall. if you dont want do that, chances are you can swap the cranks and covers and eliminate that aux. output shaft. its tough to say if it will work without know any engine numbers, but ive done something very similar before.
I think you misunderstood, I need the aux pulley for the drive on the new frame but both my engines don't have it.

Old 01-03-09, 04:50 PM
what are you building that you need one for? some techumseh snowblower engines have what you looking for. i think

Old 01-03-09, 04:53 PM
what are you building that you need one for? some techumseh snowblower engines have what you looking for. i think
A friend of mine has a machine 8hp 27inch with a blown tec engine on it. It has the dual pulley setup, 1 pulley for the drive and 1 for the auger. Both the engine's I own in my garage, 1 8hp and 1 10hp have a single shaft. I do not want to go out and drop $700 on an engine with dual shaft. I am asking, can I make my 8hp into a dual shaft engine or can I rig up the machine to use 1 shaft with 2 pulleys.

Old 01-03-09, 04:57 PM
well your going to have to go with the 2 pulley setup. there is no way to use 1 shaft if the old motor had 2. if they are similar motors, do a crank and cover swap. ive done it a couple times and always works. make sure the covers are the same and crank. the only difference in crank is the gear towards the end of it. if the motors are the same you can def. make one good out of the two.

Old 01-03-09, 05:29 PM
well your going to have to go with the 2 pulley setup. there is no way to use 1 shaft if the old motor had 2. if they are similar motors, do a crank and cover swap. ive done it a couple times and always works. make sure the covers are the same and crank. the only difference in crank is the gear towards the end of it. if the motors are the same you can def. make one good out of the two.
Isn't it the cam that provides the second pulley?

Old 01-05-09, 06:21 PM
no it runs off the crank. just swap cranks and covers