Craftsman Model# 536 886260 Impeller Bent

Old 01-03-09, 02:35 PM
Craftsman Model# 536 886260 Impeller Bent

I have a craftsman snowblower 9hp that will only throw snow about 3 ft. This snow blower was givin to me as a if you can fix it it is yours type of deal. I replaced the auger drive belt thinking that was the problem but it was not. On further inspection i noticed that three out of four impeller blades were bent. I have removed the impeller from the auger shaft. I know the part cost 80 bucks and was wondering before i sink anymore money into this "free" snowblower if anyone thought this is the reason for sure that it won't throw snow over three feet. Thanks Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 03:42 PM
Depending on how far they are bent, I would say that is the problem. There has to be a small clearance between the impeller and the housing otherwise the impeller cant hold enogh snow to throw. Same goes if the impeller fins are bent off straight. Ya know, kinda like holding a spoon off level all the soup spills before the spoon reches your mouth.
If you or a friend has an oxy-accetelyne torch, you can heat the fins and bend them back. When you do, make sure the back plate is flat. Other wise it will rub against the back of the housing.

Old 01-03-09, 04:21 PM
I would say that's definately the reason for the "short throw".
You should be able to straighten them out as long as they are not bent to badly. Also beware of any cracks - you don't want the thing flying apart. If in doubt I'd go with a new impeller, or maybe you can find a good used one from another machine.
While you have it out why not add some material to the edges for a really small clearance between blades and housing.
This will improve your throwing distance dramatically

Old 01-03-09, 04:59 PM
thanks for the info

thanks alot for the info . So how would i go about adding material to the inside . I will say one thing I am no welder but I like the idea of it throwing snow further

Old 01-03-09, 05:29 PM
this will explain it - the difference is nothing short of amazing
it's well worth the effort!!!
http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...ow-blower.html

Old 01-03-09, 05:32 PM
well if you're good with a drill press and can line up two or three holes between your impeller blades and your add on material you could go that route, but the problem there would be the added weight. another option is to find a friend who has a small welder in his garage and ask him if he can help out. it's been my experience that most guys who have a welder sitting in their garage who aren't in the business ( hobby welders ) usually jump at the chance to hone/refine/ show off their skills for their friends and neighbors, usually have a small pile of useable scrap material at their disposal ( you should see mine ) and if they know you they're not likely to charge you anything.

as for adding material, probably some 1/16" sheet cut to whatever width with about an 1/8" overlap. if you know a welder but no suitable scraps, drive around the nearest industrial park and peek into the steel dumpsters behind any machine shop. if you see something you like, ask someone at the shop if they would mind