Honda Engine Stalling

Old 01-03-09, 07:34 PM
Honda Engine Stalling

I have 2 honda gx 200 engines used on go karts and the engines run good for about 15 minutes or so then the engines begin to stall. Sometimes the engines will crank back immediately and then sometimes they have to sit for a while before they will crank. Any ideas? I have read some threads and it looks like the carb could be causing the problem. Any particular cleaner I should use. Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0944 View Post
I have 2 honda gx 200 engines used on go karts and the engines run good for about 15 minutes or so then the engines begin to stall. Sometimes the engines will crank back immediately and then sometimes they have to sit for a while before they will crank. Any ideas? I have read some threads and it looks like the carb could be causing the problem. Any particular cleaner I should use. Any ideas or advice is appreciated.
When I redo carbs I take them to a small engine shop and get them cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, I swear by it. I've tried the soak in carb cleaner idea and it just doesn't get it as clean as the ultrasonic cleaner, plus carb cleaner can damage plastic parts if left in too long. Once you get it back sparkling clean put a carb kit in it, they should run like new.

Old 01-03-09, 08:54 PM
sounds like your vent on the fuel tank is clogged and not alowing fuel to flow into the engines properly, or you have a fuel filter partially plugged. if the engines run good for a while you don't have a carb problem. the other possibility is the electronic ignition is getting hot and breaking down then working after cooling down.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 01-04-09, 12:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with speedwrench. Sounds like either a venting or coil problem. When it dies and won't re-start, check for spark.

Old 01-05-09, 11:06 AM
Engine Stallling

The cars seem to be running better we think it was moisture getting in the tanks we put some heet fuel line antifreeze in the gas and so far no more problems. Thanks for all the advice if the problem returns we will try them.