Generator Engine Exhaust Routing

Old 01-03-09, 08:27 PM
Generator Engine Exhaust Routing

I have a Generac 13KV natural gas generator. It was installed in an area that was fine until we had some remodeling done.

Now I need to do something about the exhaust. I would like to route it at least 18' away. Is it possible to connect a pipe to the end of the generator's existing exhaust pipe so I can run the exhaust somewhere else?

The existing "tailpipe" looks to be made of aluminum and is 1 1/4" outside diameter. Is there a formula I need to adhere to in order to avoid problems like creating too much back pressure? Or does this not matter if it's an unrestricted pipe?

I also want to find out if the engine is operating correctly in that the exhaust really stinks. Isn't natural gas supposed to be clean burning?

Your guidance and advice are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 08:36 PM
there will usually be a oder to natural gas when burned, the only thing to do is make sure that your added pipe has a weather shield to prevent water and insect intrusion when the gen is not running as long as you use a pipe that slips over the existing exhaust you will not need to worry about back pressure.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies