Murray 10/29 Snowblower Drive Problem

Old 01-04-09, 07:15 AM
Question Murray 10/29 Snowblower Drive Problem

I have a little used Murray 10/29 snowblower, model number 629108X30A. It has a recurring drive problem which I have yet to solve. The engine turns a circular flat metal plate on which is held a pick-up wheel with a rubber outer ring. Friction transfers the drive from the engine, through the plate to the wheeled follower and thence to the wheels. The friction works well when the machine is cold, and the drive is positive at all speeds. However, after about 10 minutes of blowing I start to lose drive at the slow speed, get it back if I increase the speed (moving to a more outer part of the drive plate) then lose even that after a minute of two more. It's almost like I squirted grease on the rubber wheel.

To address this I have cleaned the wheel and plate of all possible oily deposits using methanol. When that did not work I tried putting some belt dressing on the rubber wheel to increase friction. I tried replacing the rubber pick-up wheel with a new one. I have tried increasing the tension on the pick-up, mindful of the manufacturers warning that over-tensioning would void the warranty, long gone anyway. None of this worked.

Is this a common problem with Murray's? I'm not too happy about the machine overall but it's what I have and I want to continue to use it if I can solve this drive problem. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so snow through the winter is a fact of life.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 08:09 AM
Some of the Murrays have an adjustment on the idler for the belt, If the wheel isn't worn out, The belt may be slipping???

Old 01-04-09, 08:20 AM
Are you sure that there is a belt in the drive train? If there is then I will find it and your advice is almost certainly the cure, but I am not aware of any belt, just the rubber rimmed friction wheel. Please advise. And thank you.

Old 01-04-09, 08:22 AM
Murray went bankrupt in 2003 so you snowblower is at least 5 years old. I am in New Hampshire. With the winter we had last year, plowable snow every 2-3 days, we put our snowblowers to the test.
Anyway, I would look at the axle bushings. They are plastic. If they are worn, the axle will move back & forth causing disengagement of the friction disc (rubber wheel).
I have had 3 snowblowers in the shop this season with complaints of "jumping out of gear" or "not enough power at the wheels". Axle bushings were worn. Replaced them and works like new again.

Old 01-04-09, 08:26 AM
At the front of the engine, you should have a black plastic "cover". If you remove it, You should see 2 belts under it. The one next to the engine is the wheel drive, the one next to the discharge chute is for the Auger drive.. Roger

Old 01-04-09, 08:27 AM
Here is a breakdown of your snowblower:

Lawn Mower Parts | Emergency Preparedness

Old 01-04-09, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Indypower. Yes, it is several years old but I have a small driveway and only use it about three or four times a year. It looks like the day I bought it, even has the plastic protection still stuck to the cowling. But I digress.

I am fairly certain that the rubber friction wheel is tight against the disk, but not absolutely positive. It has done this from new, so again I don't think wear is the issue. I am intrigued by the earlier suggestion about the drive belt. Is there a drive belt? If there is, I will attack that (and/or the bushings) once the temperature goes above freezing.

Old 01-04-09, 09:24 AM
Today has been a good day because this problem has aggravated me since I bought the machine new and, with your help (Hopkins and Indypower) I believe I now understand the cause. I whipped off the black plastic cover which revealed the belts. The drive belt looks like it has stretched to its maximum so that is likely the main cause. There is a note on the cover that says the belts may need periodic adjustment, to refer to the onwer's manual. I had misplaced that some time ago but this dialogue cuased another search and, presto, I found it. I have put a little belt dressing on the belts to see me through but will replace the drice belt in the spring.

Thanks to you both, and to this site, for providing fast, almost instant help through this issue.

Old 01-06-09, 05:57 AM
I too have the same issue with a Murray machine since new 2004 once it has been working for an hour or so it will gradually stop moving just as you pointed out reverse second and forward sixth are the first to go then as I move closer to center of the friction disk I can usually get about another 15 - 20 minutes out of it before it stops moving all together. I thought it was oil on the disk but I have cleaned it repeatedly to no avail. I have replaced my auger belt recently but not the drive belt.

Old 01-06-09, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by HandyMan878 View Post
I too have the same issue with a Murray machine since new 2004 once it has been working for an hour or so it will gradually stop moving just as you pointed out reverse second and forward sixth are the first to go then as I move closer to center of the friction disk I can usually get about another 15 - 20 minutes out of it before it stops moving all together. I thought it was oil on the disk but I have cleaned it repeatedly to no avail. I have replaced my auger belt recently but not the drive belt.
Instead of tagging on to an old thread START A NEW THREAD. Include model number, serial number, etc. This will make it easier for all wanting to help.

Old 01-06-09, 06:42 AM
Handyman878: It's good to know this thread has helped you too. While I have yet to actually fix the problem for good (it's cold out there) I am sure it's the loose drive belt. It's interesting that it is adjusted by a spring loaded tensioner. When the tensioner reaches it's limit the belt has to be replaced in what appears to be a tricky job. Seems like a design flaw because my machine has had very little use. I could see it doing this if I were a contractor doing lots of driveways, but I'm an individual homeowner doing the minimum.

Old 01-06-09, 04:27 PM
Hi fellow bluenose
It sure sounds like the drive belt is stretched giving you the problem.
I'd get a new one and replace it asap, winter has just started and I have a feeling we're in for a lot of snow eek:
Oh well, this is NS.

Old 01-06-09, 06:30 PM
Hey back, Torpedo. I was going to wait until the spring but your less than rosy predictions have spurred me into action. I'm going to take advantage of the coming warm snap and, provided I get the belts (will do both, given the effort) I'll get the job done.

Old 10-13-09, 04:05 PM
Drive Disk

This problem isn't limited to Murray's. The problem is caused by your blowing snow! Snow, thus water, gets in there and makes the disk slippery... It has nothing to do with the belts as they are NOT a part of the drive train.

Old 10-13-09, 05:58 PM
Rick. In my case, you are wrong. The drive belt is part of the drive train. I did replace the drive belt and found the machine worked well thereafter. For anyone else with the problem, I suggest the first fix is to clean and adjust the drive plate and wheel. Don't over-tension the wheel because it will wreck it, and possibly the plate. Then I would replace the drive belt, a trickier job, then keep it adjusted. Now I will keep a close eye on the drive belt to avoid further problems.