Hole in drive shaft under auger is missing!

Old 01-04-09, 10:52 AM
Hole in drive shaft under auger is missing!

I have a Craftsman 9 hp snowblower with Tecumseh engine. Went to replace a shear pin but the hole in the auger(?) does not line up with hole in the drive shaft. No matter how I spin it there is no hole for the shear pin. It looks like there is a solid pole inside of the auger.

Has anyone come up against this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by cristobawat View Post
I have a Craftsman 9 hp snowblower with Tecumseh engine. Went to replace a shear pin but the hole in the auger(?) does not line up with hole in the drive shaft. No matter how I spin it there is no hole for the shear pin. It looks like there is a solid pole inside of the auger.

Has anyone come up against this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
There is no hole cause the broken part of the pin is still in the shaft, find it and knock it out with a punch.

Old 01-05-09, 06:51 AM
thanks - I will give it a shot.

Old 01-05-09, 07:00 AM
thanks - I will give it a shot.
You may have to rotate the impeller to line up the hole on the auger shaft, probably why you don't see it.

Old 01-08-09, 06:34 AM
used a hammer and blade sharpening handle and popped out a busted shear which had lodged in the space.

thanks for the tip!

Now if only I can get the engine to run smoother. added some Textron last night and let it run for 20 minutes. not sure it helped.

definitely would not by a craftsman again - its only one year old!

Old 01-08-09, 12:13 PM
used a hammer and blade sharpening handle and popped out a busted shear which had lodged in the space.

thanks for the tip!

Now if only I can get the engine to run smoother. added some Textron last night and let it run for 20 minutes. not sure it helped.

definitely would not by a craftsman again - its only one year old!
Try a little seafoam in the tank next.

Old 01-08-09, 01:48 PM
"Now if only I can get the engine to run smoother. added some Textron last night and let it run for 20 minutes. not sure it helped.

definitely would not by a craftsman again - its only one year old! "

You can't blame the snowblower. Today's gas is crap and is only good for 30 days. If you left ANY gas in the carb over the summer, it has turned to varnish and clogged up the internal holes. And the carb needs to be taken apart, soaked, and a new kit installed. And running E-10 does not help either. Yes, you have been using E-10 in Boston since Jan.08.

Old 01-09-09, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
"Now if only I can get the engine to run smoother. added some Textron last night and let it run for 20 minutes. not sure it helped.

definitely would not by a craftsman again - its only one year old! "

You can't blame the snowblower. Today's gas is crap and is only good for 30 days. If you left ANY gas in the carb over the summer, it has turned to varnish and clogged up the internal holes. And the carb needs to be taken apart, soaked, and a new kit installed. And running E-10 does not help either. Yes, you have been using E-10 in Boston since Jan.08.

And if the gas ain't enough, most of today's machines have a non-adjustable carb, factory set to meet EPA pollution standards. This setting is a "one size fits all" thing that does not account for altitude, temperature, or other operating conditions. So even if your machine is set EXACTLY to factory spec. it may run like crap because it's -10 degrees out with 12% humidity and your fuel has ethanol in it which is attracting some water while sitting in the tank. The carb and ethanol are brought to you by the same great minds that brought you 1.3 gallon toilets.

Old 01-09-09, 01:34 PM
It also takes about 3 mins for a snowblower engine to warm up enough to run smooth and that is if it is stored in a heated garage. If stored in an un heated shed, it may take as long as 10 mins to warm up depending on outside temp.