Keep Generator Outside

Old 01-05-09, 01:38 PM
Keep Generator Outside

I just bought a new portable gas generator to help during power outtages.

Was hoping I can store it outside so that I dont have to lug it in and out of storage each time.

I plan to keep it outside, but under my deck, on a small platform to keep it off the ground, and with some sort of cover over it (like a grill cover).

I was thinking this is ok? Or is it not good to store it outside in the cold too long?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-09, 02:42 PM
Inside storage is always best for any type of equipment. If you do store it outside I suggest frequent runs to remove condensation. The fuel tank should be kept full with stabilized fuel also.

Old 01-05-09, 03:12 PM
you don't need frequent runs for condensation, but monthly runs to maintain the field are good, keep the tank toped off and filled as tater said with stabilized fuel. also keep the fuel turned off when not in use. a fuel drier in the winter time would be good also. if you can find one a drain hose for the oil plug helps to make oil changes easier. our 10K came with the hose for oil changes.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-05-09, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
And put a gas cap on it that has a thumbscrew vent and shut the vent when not in use to keep condensation out.

Old 01-12-09, 01:21 PM
ok, thanks for the feedback as always. so condensation is key. and good point on the oil drain hose.

Hmm, maybe its not worth it, then to keep it outside. Im wondering if it would be less maintenance keeping it in the garage where it wont be as cold. Would still have to keep some stabilizer in it and/or start it every month or so?

Old 01-12-09, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
Would still have to keep some stabilizer in it and/or start it every month or so?

yes. if for no other reason than just knowing it starts and makes power. don't feel bad, i have three generators and an air compressor i start the first weekend of every month.

Old 01-14-09, 08:45 AM
Generator.....

A few years ago we learned the hard way to start the generator every 2 months or so. Now it sits in the garage, filled, and has stabilizer in it. When the weather looks as though we may have power outages it comes into the shop where it's about 25 degrees warmer. Much easier to start, when we wheel it outside to it's operating location. Always outside when running.
I like the idea of a gas cap with a thumbscrew vent. Thanks.
Marty

Old 01-15-09, 08:29 AM
Like you, I too store my generator outside. I try to remember to start it up once in awhile. The last time I tried, it was only 28 deg, and I pulled the starter cord once. It spun over, didn't start, then the pull starter wouldn't engage. Turns out the ball bearings that are supposed to fall into the dogs were frozen in their cup. Pulled it apart, thawed it out, dried everything out, squirted in some WD-40, and all was ok with the world. Moral of the story - Outside storage is your enemy and moisture is your enemy.

Old 01-17-09, 05:24 PM
got it. its gonna stay in the garage. i like the plan of starting it up the first of each month. thanks.

Search this Thread