Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

honda gx390 generator shutting off pilot idle

01-07-09, 12:25 PM   #1  
honda gx390 generator shutting off pilot idle

Hey hguys hope you can help me out. I have a nac 6500 generator. It has been sitting for awhile did cahange fuel and spark plug. Now i am noticing gas leaking from bottom of the solenid when engine is off. The generator will work at full throtle but will surge. Does the float chamber come off and how? I tried cleaning the carb but not sure what to do?? Any ideas thank you

Sponsored Links

TN

01-07-09, 01:35 PM   #2  
I do not recall ever seeing a GX390 with a fuel shutoff solenoid. This does not mean yours does not have one though. Is this solenoid screwed in from the bottom of the float bowl?

Inspect the carburetor closely to determine the source of the leak. Ensure the fuel is not coming from a leaking float valve or from a hole in the bowl and appearing to come out of the solenoid.

Inspect the carburetor bowl for pinholes. Honda bowls are known to develop pinholes due to corrosion of the bowl.

Surging is an indication of a blocked fuel passage. Use this link as a guide to clean the carburetor. Clean every hole and orifice:
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/59138.pdf

01-07-09, 02:43 PM   #3  
honda carb problem

I think it is the valve assembly solenoid. It srews onto the bottom of the float bowl. I belive it is for the pilot function? Do you think i should i just buy a new carb. I will try cleaning again. The thing I don't understand is that it will run on reg idle but not on pilot. But it will surge somewhat on full idle

TN

01-07-09, 02:58 PM   #4  
BINGO, pilot you say....

Is this engine on a Honda generator? The model "nac 6500" is not any generator I am familiar with. If it is a Honda find the correct model number as well as VIN # and serial number.

01-07-09, 03:04 PM   #5  
It is a honda gx390 engine made by nac. It does have the pilot option when there is no load on the engine. I am getting fuel drip out of the carb. It seems to come out a small hole near the butterfly. it will also drip when not in use. I will try cleaning it oy again. Does the float chamber come off and how? Really need this machine for work. Thanks so much

TN

01-07-09, 06:13 PM   #6  
I am not at all familiar with NAC and have never known anyone to manufacture Honda engines other than Honda. As a former Honda dealer, you have me at a complete loss. However, with the ever-changing market nothing surprises me.

What you have sounds very much like a fuel shut-off solenoid used on GX390 engines found on many of the larger Honda portable generators. This fuel shut-off solenoid simply shuts off fuel to the engine at shutdown to prevent dieseling. On the Honda generator, engines I am familiar with you will find a setscrew and gaskets under the fuel shut-off solenoid.

In speaking of the fuel leak you said, It seems to come out a small hole near the butterfly. it will also drip when not in use. I highly suspect the float valve is not seating allowing fuel to continually flow into the bowl and overflow out the hole you mention. The document I referenced earlier points out areas to clean.

Search this Thread