Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite LR4400 generator pull cable problem.

01-07-09, 06:47 PM   #1  
Homelite LR4400 generator pull cable problem.

When I pull the cable it turns the shaft, but nothing inside catches so the engine doesn't get turned over. I looked at taking the front cover off the the pull cable assembly and it looks like it is riveted on. How would I get inside to see what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links

OK

01-07-09, 07:48 PM   #2  
the whole front cover will need to be removed. then you can access the starter mechanism, to just replace it the rivets have to be drilled out.

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-07-09, 07:49 PM   #3  
Sounds to me like the engine threw a rod (low oil?). Don't try to remove the riveted on cover...remove the whole shroud assembly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

01-10-09, 02:21 PM   #4  
Is the shroud assembly the whole side of the engine? There is the plastic ribbed/vented outer covering the pull cord goes thru, and I can pull that off. Then there is the riveted cover. Is the riveted cover connected to the shroud assembly? Is it removable using normal tools? I hope it isn't a broken rod - the oil is full and new.

Unfortunately the Briggs & Stratton manual I have is worthless for anything other than how to start, stop and maintain it. No parts lists, or exploded views to go by for disassembly. Any help would be appreciated. This is my 85 year old dad's generator and if it can't start, it's worthless for him to use when his power goes out.

OK

01-10-09, 06:03 PM   #5  
the shroud assemply is going to be the cover that the starter is riveted to. it will cover most of the engine on usually 3 sides. the starter has two small plastic pegs that extend when the rope is pulled, most likely they are either not extending or are broken,

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

01-10-09, 06:05 PM   #6  
Posted By: jkeeffe When I pull the cable it turns the shaft,
what "shaft" are you talking about ? do you see the generator winding turning or the peice behind the starter cover ? it could be as simple as a bad starter clutch.

Search this Thread