Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wedgefield snowblower auger stopped

01-08-09, 06:40 AM   #1  
wedgefield snowblower auger stopped

last night i was using for the first time a inheriated pretty old wedgefield snowblower. i got most of my driveway done when i hit what sounded like ice and my augers quit. when i shift the auger on and off it doesnt even flinch. none of the shafts turn not even a pitch change. i tried turning the auger by hand with it engaged and not engaged and nothing moves?? any help

Sponsored Links

NH

01-08-09, 07:57 AM   #2  
you broke the shear pins. they look like bolts in the center portion of the augers. DO NOT USE STANDARD BOLTS!!!
Drive out the broken part and go to your local small engine shop and get shear pins that size. Shear pins are made to break when you hit an object like you did. If you use standard bolts, they will not break and you will need to replace the gears in the auger gear box. Shear pins-$2 each. Gears-$80 each.

01-08-09, 11:44 PM   #3  
ok i think all the sheer pins are still intact. plus i was told that if it was a sheer pin i would be able to turn auger by hand? i was told it could be a belt or a gear. with this machine being so old will i be able to find parts anywhere? thanks

01-09-09, 08:10 AM   #4  
Posted By: timh310 ok i think all the sheer pins are still intact. plus i was told that if it was a sheer pin i would be able to turn auger by hand? i was told it could be a belt or a gear. with this machine being so old will i be able to find parts anywhere? thanks
You probably took the belt out, with the machine off rotate the impeller, if the auger blades move the gears are ok. Remove the plastic cover over the belts and inspect.

Search this Thread