Crafsman Snowblower Auger always on

Old 01-08-09, 07:23 AM
Crafsman Snowblower Auger always on

Hello,

I have a Craftsman Snowblower 247-888160 that has two problems. The first is the Auger belt rubs up against the cover and burned a whole through it. The second problem is that the Auger is always turning, the Auger control handle is basically floppy, there is no tension. So when I start it, the Auger is turning, which I think might be bad for the engine, not to mention a safety hazard. The person I bought it from said the belt had just been replaced and he thinks it's too big. I'm thinking it may need adjusted? Anything else that could cause this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 07:51 AM
The correct belt for that is # 954-0430B. The snowblower was made by MTD. This is a very popular belt for their snowblowers. You can find them at Lowes or HomeDepot.
Sounds like you have the wrong belt on it and that it was also install wrong. I suspect the belt was installed with the idler pulley on the inside of the belt and it should be outside the belt. I would buy the proper belt for it.

Old 01-29-09, 08:19 AM
Okay, we replaced the belt and put it on the pulley correctly. It worked for about 4 hours of snow blowing and then the belt fell off the pulle this morning. I do have a hole in the auger belt cover from where the old belt was rubbing. Is it possible that snow/moisture got in there and caused it to fall off the pulley? I will be replacing the cover when I put the belt back on, but just curious if I should look for anything else that may have caused this?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-09, 08:59 AM
Does the idler pulley bracket have tension on it? It should have slight tension, just enough so it touches the belt when it is dis engaged. You may have a broken spring or may have to loosen the idler pulley and slide it closer to the belt. Loosen the bolt that goes thru the center of the pulley. The bracket that it is bolted to should be slotted. Slide the pulley towards the belt a little. Re-tighten the bolt.

Search this Thread