Carburator problems on Toro Powershift 1028 /1997 model

Old 01-10-09, 06:18 AM
Carburator problems on Toro Powershift 1028 /1997 model

Hello;
I recently purchased a used Toro Powershift 1028 snowblower. after hefty shopping around for a reliable second hand .
I chose this particular model cause I was told that this is very strong and reliable compared to the vast majority.
I am now having carburator problems such that I can't seem to get the unit to idle properly even after adding the carb kit and following the adjustment procedures stated in the manual.

Does it now mean that I may need to replace the full carb assy.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 06:51 AM
You do not have to replace the carb. You need to take it apart again and soak it in a carb cleaning solution for a couple of hours. Then you have to blow out all hole with compressed air.
Please post the model number. should look like 38050.

Old 01-13-09, 02:18 AM
Carb Problems /Toro Powershift 1028

Hello Indypower!
Thanks for your feedback,
The model number of my toro snow thrower is 38555.
One last question, are there is internal parts that will need to be replaced?

seniorman

Old 01-13-09, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
You do not have to replace the carb. You need to take it apart again and soak it in a carb cleaning solution for a couple of hours. Then you have to blow out all hole with compressed air.
Please post the model number. should look like 38050.
I have a similar problem, and was just looking online to buy a new caburator. My symptoms are that the machine will start but will not stay running. I have played with the idle adjustments and mixtures but without success. Perhaps a good cleaning is all that is necessary?

Model: 38558 Toro 1028 Powershift

Old 01-13-09, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by seniorman View Post
Hello Indypower!

seniorman
Yes, you will need a carb kit # 632347.

Danl65, you also need your carb cleaned and a kit installed..

Old 01-13-09, 07:19 AM
Thorough cleaning of the carburetor is essential. If you want to be successful in correcting the problem pay attention to detail. This document shows the steps required to correctly clean a Tecumseh carburetor.
http://www.greenindustryeducation.co...s/Tecumseh.pdf

You can get around having the special tools the service manual shows how.

Your engine is not listed on the cover of this manual but it applies to your engine:
http://www.cpdonline.com/695244a.pdf

Old 01-13-09, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by seniorman View Post
Hello Indypower!

seniorman
Parts in the kit-

Bowl Gasket
Needle and seat
Main Jet and gasket- bolt on the bottom of the carb
Idle Jet and rubber o ring
float pin
2 welch plugs, I only replace the one inside the carb but others do both

Check your float for gas inside of it, shake it and listen for sloshing, the kit DOES NOT come with a float and i've rebuilt 3this year that needed new floats.

Old 01-23-09, 01:33 PM
Well cleaning my carburetor helped greatly. It now can stay running if I keep the throttle advanced, before it would not even do that. It has power to blow snow the full 20 - 30 feet whereas before it would only blow 8 feet.

I did not get a rebuild kit. My float is intact and seems to be adjusted properly. The O rings appeared to be healthy. The carburetor did not seem to have many parts other than the metal welch plugs that really would deteriorate.

The biggest problem seemed to be varnish buildup inside the jets of the carb. I soaked the carb (I know, the site said do not soak, but I did soak and it seems to have worked) and then blew out the ports with compressed air. I cleaned up the welch plugs with a soft brush and everything is now shiny and new looking.

I am going to take a stab at the carb again this weekend and see if I messed something up in hooking up the governor and the throttle adjustment. I do not have pictures of how this should be assembled and the manual does not depict this assembly either, it just shows the parts.

Does anyone have a good snapshot of a 1028 and its throttle assembly?

Old 01-23-09, 04:45 PM
Nevermind, I found a perfect picture on page 29 of the TECUMSEH TECHNICIAN'S HANDBOOK. Image 17 is what I was looking for.

Thanks. Now to figure out why it is backfiring. I believe that means there is a lack of fuel, perhaps my float height is not set properly.

Originally Posted by danl65 View Post
Well cleaning my carburetor helped greatly. It now can stay running if I keep the throttle advanced, before it would not even do that. It has power to blow snow the full 20 - 30 feet whereas before it would only blow 8 feet.

I did not get a rebuild kit. My float is intact and seems to be adjusted properly. The O rings appeared to be healthy. The carburetor did not seem to have many parts other than the metal welch plugs that really would deteriorate.

The biggest problem seemed to be varnish buildup inside the jets of the carb. I soaked the carb (I know, the site said do not soak, but I did soak and it seems to have worked) and then blew out the ports with compressed air. I cleaned up the welch plugs with a soft brush and everything is now shiny and new looking.

I am going to take a stab at the carb again this weekend and see if I messed something up in hooking up the governor and the throttle adjustment. I do not have pictures of how this should be assembled and the manual does not depict this assembly either, it just shows the parts.

Does anyone have a good snapshot of a 1028 and its throttle assembly?

Old 01-24-09, 06:50 AM

Is there a good online site that you can recommend for a kit? Thanks.