Craftman Snow Thrower Stops Running

Old 01-10-09, 02:02 PM
Craftman Snow Thrower Stops Running

I also have a 8.5HP Craftman Snow Thrower with B&S engine model 536.881851 that will stop after 5-10 mins of blowing heavy snow. It will restart after sitting for a few hours and run fine as long as I pay attention to how much stress is on the engine. We just got 12" of snow and I was not paying attention! I will need to try in the morning.

Last edited by chagrin_daddy; 01-10-09 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 03:10 PM
chagrin_daddy,

I moved your post into a thread of its own to eliminate confusion.

Are you saying your engine quits running after a few minutes of blowing snow and will not restart until the engine cools down?

If the answer to this question is yes, try the following:

Warning: The engine will not shut down through the on/off switch with the coil ground wire disconnected. Be prepared to pull spark plug to shut engine off.

To rule out the possibility of a bad switch or shorted wire remove the cover from the engine and disconnect the ground wire from the coil. Install the cover, start the engine and run engine until it shuts down.

When the engine shuts down, immediately remove the spark plug, with the spark plug wire attached touch (ground) the spark plug against the engine block and turn the engine over. Observe for spark. If no spark, you have a bad coil, which is easy to replace and requires a minor adjustment when doing so.

If the engine does not shut down you have a problem in the switch or wiring. Most likely, you have a bad coil but you need to rule out the switch and wiring.

Old 01-10-09, 03:28 PM
Thanks Airman. I will give it a shot. BTY, I thought I did not save this (now I know why) and there is another post that you can delete.

Old 03-02-09, 08:21 PM
Snow Thrower Fixed?

I finally called Sears and had them fix the snow thrower. They replaced the carburetor, the snow hood, and installed mesh/filter kit (recall kit). Now I am waiting for more snow to test. I did notice that it starts on a half pull and 2 primes. It normally would take 6-8 primes and 1 to 1.5 pulls to start. The choke also has much better action (I can feel the clicks). I will let you know how it does on the next big snow.

Search this Thread