How do I remove the auger belt from a Snapper Snowblower?

Old 01-08-09, 01:21 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I remove the auger belt from a Snapper Snowblower?

Hello,
I was just given a Snapper snowblower and was able to get it working after not being run for over 2 years. The problem I am having now is that when I try to move through the snow, the auger and stops throwing snow. Once all the snow is removed, it starts to move again. The shear pins are intact and I do not see one on the main shaft so I checked the auger belt. The belt appears very loose even when I adjust it as tight as I can get it so it looks like I will have to replace the belt. The problem is that I cannot see how to get it out. I have it off both pulleys but I still have the drive shaft to contend with. I do not have the manual for the snowblower and I do not want to cause any damage so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to take the belt off so that I can replace it.

Snapper Snowblower model 8245

Thanks in advance!

kdmud

Old 01-08-09, 01:40 PM
I
Go here:
Snapper Operator's Manuals, Set-Up Instructions, Illustrated Parts Lists
You need the Snapper model number as Snapper used "8245"
for a couple of years.
Most snowblowers require you to "split" the scoop from the tractor to make room to slip the belt between the pullies.
Remove the top bolts from both sides and just loosen the lower bolts to allow it to pivot. You will need a way to hold up the handlebars so they do not come crashing down to the floor. You only need to split it far enough to get the belt past the pullies.

Old 01-09-09, 06:39 AM
K
Thanks for the reply indypower!
I was wondering if I had to break it apart but wanted to make sure before I took the chance on breaking anything.

I will give it a try today! Let's hope I will be able to actually use it this year.

Take care,

kdmud

Old 01-11-09, 01:52 PM
S
Same belt issue

Hello KD

I saw your post and have the same issue this morning with my Snapper.

Was curious if you have done the repair yet and if so was it difficult?

At this point I have the belt off the Auger drive pulley.

Also figured I should replace the drive belt to the wheels while i have it apart but cannot find any mention of how to remove that belt. Any suggestions? It says in the manual that there is no tension adjustment on the second belt.

Thanks for your help.

Skip

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: