Briggs & Stratton 303447 Not Charging

Old 01-11-09, 11:16 AM
Briggs & Stratton 303447 Not Charging

This V twin motor is in a 1998 Troy Bilt 16hp GTX tractor. The battery is only a year old and holds a charge. The problem started last summer when the electric clutch would not engage because of low voltage. Bat terminals are clean. Without motor manual I'm lost - how does this charging system work? Oh the type code is 1216A1 and the code is 96120611. Thanks for any insights!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 03:14 PM
Post the model and serial number of your tractor. The problem may lie in the electric PTO clutch.

Your engine has an alternator that produces AC voltage that is fed to a regulator/rectifier that converts the AC to DC.

The BLACK wire with GREEN connector coming out of the engine connects to a GREEN connector on a YELLOW wire from the regulator/rectifier. Disconnect the BLACK and YELLOW wire. With engine at 3600 RPM minimum voltage should be 28 VAC.

There is a RED wire coming from the regulator. I do not have the exact specification at hand but DC voltage from the red wire should be greater than 12 VDC at 3600 RPM.

Old 01-11-09, 05:44 PM
Model and Serial Number

The tractor is a Troy-Bilt/Bolens GTX Garden Tractor. My Dad bought it new in 1998 and wrote the model number in the manual: NGT321. The serial number is: 131011100174. There is a note in the manual regarding identification numbers, "Model number of this unit is the first five numbers of the model/serial number." The front cover of the tractor manual says it covers models 13074 (18 hp); 13076 (20hp) and 13101 (16hp). So I'd say the model number is 13101.

Am I correct to assume that the alternator is an integral component inside the motor? Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 01-11-09, 07:39 PM
Yes, the alternator is an integral part of the engine. It's located underneath the flywheel. You can test the operation as described in airman's post without taking anything apart, other then unplugging the connectors located on the side of the engine.

The battery itself will provide enough voltage and amperage to engage the PTO clutch even if the alternator or voltage regulator was not working. If there was a problem with the charging system, then eventually the electric clutch would drain the battery.

Electric clutches eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Test for power at the clutch connector when the PTO switch is engaged and the key is in the on position.

Many clutches have adjustments that can be made to take up for wear on the pressure plate. There should be no more then .020" air gap or clearance between the clutch plate clutch face. Too large of an air gap requires more power for the clutch to engage and can cause coil assembly to overheat and fail.

if the gap is excessive and your clutch has adjustments, try adjusting the air gap to around .012" and see if it will engage.

Best of Luck...