Honda Snowblower - Gas in the Oil???

Old 01-12-09, 07:22 AM
Honda Snowblower - Gas in the Oil???

I have a Honda HS520a single stage snowthrower (4-stroke) that is about 3 years old. It's performed great up till now. I was out clearing snow last night when I noticed the engine running at a slightly higher rpm. When I put it under load, the power decreased noticeably. I immediately took it into the garage, checked the gas (new) and then the oil level, which strangely, was completely covering the dipstick level and now right up to the lip. So I removed a bit of the oil and restarted. Engine had the same symptoms so I checked the oil again. It was completely filled to the lip again and now looked suspiciously gray and watery. I'm wondering if I could have a bad oil ring on the piston and gas might be slipping past and contaminating my oil. However, it seems to be happening (refilling/mixing) too quickly for this to be the reason. I'm not even really sure it is gas in the oil because I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet. Any ideas on where to start or what to look for??? Last time I changed the oil I replaced it with Pennzoil four-stroke oil and have checked it regularly since then with no problems till now. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 07:57 AM
Sounds like the carburetor float valve/needle is sticking allowing fuel to flow out of carburetor into the engine crankcase. You may be able to do a quick fix by removing the bowl float and vale and using some aerosol carburetor cleaner to clean the valve cavity. Just may be a piece of debris causing the problem.

The float valve/needle tip could be damaged/worn so inspect it upon removal.

You may consider replacing old fuel lines, as they are often a source of contamination. Install a new fuel filter also.

Of course replace contaminated oil.

Here is a link to a document they should help:
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/59139.pdf

Old 01-12-09, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Airman! I'll give it a try and let you know how it comes out. I just happened to find this forum and bookmarked it immediately. Looking forward to visiting it regularly.

Old 01-13-09, 07:38 PM
Cleaned the debris out of the tank, lines and carb. Changed the gas contaminated oil, and BTW, the governor arm broke somewhere in all this and so I ended up replacing that as well. Runs almost perfectly now. Thanks Airman!