Craftsman Snowblower

Old 01-12-09, 11:05 AM
Craftsman Snowblower

I have a 9HP Snowblower Model #536.887992 that does not have a neutral position. It has 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. However, when I put the shift lever in neutral it either goes forward or reverse on its own. The cable is totally loose and the Friction wheel is dead center on the swing plate but still no neutral. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 11:48 AM
Don't know your machine specifically, cannot find the manual online. I do know on some machine's there is a spring that pulls the drive pulley or tensioner off the drive belt, spring probably broke.

Old 01-12-09, 01:59 PM
Your (as well as most) snowblower does not have a neutral.
The drive dis-engages when you let go of the lever on the handlebar. That is your neutral.

Old 01-12-09, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by John who needs View Post
I have a 9HP Snowblower Model #536.887992 that does not have a neutral position. It has 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. However, when I put the shift lever in neutral it either goes forward or reverse on its own. The cable is totally loose and the Friction wheel is dead center on the swing plate but still no neutral. Any ideas?
Does it move by itself when you release the drive lever?

Old 01-13-09, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by cpgixxer View Post
Does it move by itself when you release the drive lever?
I don't even touch the drive lever cable. As soon as I shift into a gear, forward or reverse, it starts to travel. It looks like the friction wheel is in constant touch with the swing plate.

Old 01-13-09, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
Your (as well as most) snowblower does not have a neutral.
The drive dis-engages when you let go of the lever on the handlebar. That is your neutral.
Sorry, I was not clear enough but I do not even touch the lever on the handlebar. As soon as I shift into gear it moves.

Old 01-13-09, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by John who needs View Post
Sorry, I was not clear enough but I do not even touch the lever on the handlebar. As soon as I shift into gear it moves.
Then something is broken that controls how the belt engages. You will have to take it apart and look for something broken or something that has come off, a spring, a lever- something is engaging it. A snowblower usually has an idler pulley that engages either the drive or auger. When you pull on the handle or however it's controlled, a control cable moves a pivot with an idler wheel to rotate the friction disk. It could even be siezed in the engaged spot.

Old 01-13-09, 09:15 AM
If you do not have to hold the lever, the spring on the drive plate is most likely broken or missing. Part # 165X112MA .

Old 01-14-09, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
If you do not have to hold the lever, the spring on the drive plate is most likely broken or missing. Part # 165X112MA .
Nope. Checked out the spring and it is still there and in place. I can't release the tension on the drive plate from the friction wheel.

Old 01-14-09, 11:33 AM
Try adjusting the cable. It may be too tight. On your machine it is done at the end of the cable, slip the rubber boot up and there is a plate with holes in it. try moving the z end on the cable down 1 hole.