Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Snowblower drive slips HELP!

01-12-09, 06:50 PM   #1  
MTD Snowblower drive slips HELP!

I have an MTD snowblower 8.5hp 26inch 2 stage. It is just over two years old, it has had a slight problem with the drive slipping since I bought it. It has not seen much use. Now the slipping is getting quite bad. It used to just "slow down" a little, now it completely stops. If I lift the wheels off the ground they turn, but with any load they stop. Wiggling the gear shifter a little helps, but not for long. Seems to always happen faster in the higher gears. If it sits for a minute or so, it drives fine again but only for a minute or so.

I tried to get it serviced under warranty but the shop twice said nothing was wrong and would not let me return it.

Any ideas? Got 7 inches of snow today and it is really slipping a lot!

I took the covers off, the belts seem fine and snug. The friction wheel looks like it has rubber, the friction plate looks clean? (everything looks new still to me, but what do I know)

I tried to adjust the cable for the drive engagement, did not seem to help any.

What else could it be? Could the friction wheel have been off adjustment from the start? Water or oil getting on the friction wheel? Is there some other adjustment?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

Sponsored Links

Non-US

01-12-09, 07:10 PM   #2  
You tried to adjust the cable, or you did adjust the cable?? Most box store units are not properly set up when new (or did you buy it from a dealer??) Check the manual & follow the instructions, But if the disc has been slipping since new, It may also need a new disc,,Also make sure both wheels are locked to the axle if it has that option.... Model & serial #'s help us a lot Roger

NH

01-13-09, 06:15 AM   #3  
Did you buy it new or used? Model numbers will help.

01-13-09, 09:23 AM   #4  
It was new from a big box store. I had a hard time determining how to adjust the cable. I will look for the manual.

I'll get model number up this afternoon, I appreciate all the help.

Could snow be melting and getting on the friction wheel? Would water cause it to slip (I'm guessing not or others would see this problem all the time?)

01-13-09, 10:29 AM   #5  
I have a similar snowblower and the same problem. It's a Yardman 600 series (8.5hp and 25" width) snowblower made by MTD. I thought maybe the drive belt was worn so I replaced it. That didn't help - it starts to move forward and then I see the friction plate slow down and stop turning. Meanwhile the drive belt is still turning.

There is an idler pulley that leans against the drive belt, but it seems very loose unlike the auger belt pulley which keeps that belt very tight.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about:

01-13-09, 11:18 AM   #6  
I take it back - I just tried it out again and the pulley is not turning when the friction plate stops.

I think I found what is wrong:
There is an extension spring I hadn't noticed behind the drive pulley. One end hooks on to a hex bolt mounted on the engine, the other end hooks on to the drive idler bracket. The bracket end of the spring is broken off, and that's why the idler pulley seems so slack!

01-13-09, 04:41 PM   #7  
Solution?

Model #:31AE6GLF795

Well, after really looking close I did find lots of black marks on the friction plate. The friction wheel looks pretty flat too, I'm not sure what a new one looks like. I think Hopkins was right - it was mal-adjusted from the start. It has only seen a couple of hours use.

I adjusted the cable to the absolute highest and tightest setting. I still had the same problem right out of the gate, but then no problems the rest of the driveway. I had just cleaned off all the black with brake clean and maybe it was still a little wet. I also had the cover off and went through some snow so some water could have got on the friction plate.

I will order the $11 friction wheel and compare with what I have. If not obvious, I will be forced to bring the machine in.

Given all the black marks I suspect the belts and all are fine and it was just adjusted wrong.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I will post again if/when I find out anything else.

Thanks!!!

NH

01-13-09, 05:24 PM   #8  
When you get the new disc and compare it to the old one, If the old one is 1/8" smaller than the new one, that was your problem. MTD says to replace when it has worn 1/8".

Search this Thread