MTD snowblower - need to remove impeller from drive box

Old 01-15-09, 05:11 PM
MTD snowblower - need to remove impeller from drive box

I have a 315E640F000 MTD snowblower that I need to replace the bolts that hold the bearing housing onto the blower housing (See pic links below). I can not get this bearing through the blower housing hole, and I can not get the bearing off the shaft. How do I get this apart. The 3 bolts that hold the bearing housing onto the blower housing come in from the other side, behind the impeller. I removed the nuts/bolts holding the spriral shaft to the housing, and I can rock the whole assembly around, but I can not detach whatever needs detaching so I can put the bolts back in. I also can figure out how to remove the 2 spring pins that connect the impeller to the auger shaft. I looked at smallengines.com diagrams... nothing tells me how it actually goes together. Please help - due to a problems with the augers stopping, I found out the bolt that holds the two auger pullies to this shaft fell out and was stripped. I replaced it, all 3 belts, and the friction rubber... but one of these bearing housing bolts was loose and the bolt fell through into the impeller area.... I'm simply stumped on how to get it (and the other 2 which I removed) back in....

Bearing Housing with 3 missing bolts and shaft -->
http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/q...ingHousing.jpg

Bearing on shaft which I can not remove or get through the hole -->http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/q...ad/bearing.jpg

Drive Box that shows the hole the bearing will not go through --> http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/drivebox.jpg

Pete Derkowski

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-09, 06:11 PM
From what I have been told these are pressed on. A person I know that has done this type of repair said he cuts the outer race with a hacksaw, hammers off the outer race with a chisel then cuts the inner race with a hack saw until it is able to be pryed off. These are like a wheel bearing that is pressed onto an axle of a car, the last one I removed was with a set of torches and a steady hand.
If you have access to a bearing puller and torches it will be easier, installation is easy with a bearing press or a vise with a pipe the same size as the inner race. Make sure the surface is smooth where you reinstall the bearing, sand off any rust with fine sand paper.

The two pins holding the impeller- oncc you get the bearing out the impeller shaft will come out with it. Put the impeller shaft in a vice, use a punch and hammer to drive out the roll pins.

Old 01-15-09, 06:17 PM
Well it looks like you are doing this the hard way. 1st you should remove the auger bucket from the tractor. Going in through the bottom if impossible. Next you need to removed the bolts on the side of the auger housing and then you want to pull the entire auger/impeller assembly out. The bearing will not fit through the hole. You will have to tap impeller shaft but do not hit hard as you will mushroom the end and you will NEVER get it out. most MTD's have a splined shaft and can be ruined easily. Hit it with some PB blaster/ WD 40 etc. Once assembly is out you can replace bearing and bearing holder, then reassemble in the revers manner

Old 01-16-09, 06:25 AM
Like smallengineguy said, remove the bucket from the tractor to give you more room to work.
I use a 3 jaw puller to pull the bearing off. Usually comes off fairly easy once it gets started. This way you don't damage the shaft or the hole in the bucket.

Old 01-16-09, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice...

smallengineguy, What is P/B Blaster ? Also, I can remove the blower housing, which includes the shroud that covers the augers and the shroud that covers the impeller (2nd stage). I can't separate the auger shroud from the impeller shroud.. unless I'm mistaken and don't see where they're bolted together... they appear to be welded together. When you say "Next you need to removed the bolts on the side of the auger housing and then you want to pull the entire auger/impeller assembly out. " I'm not sure what you mean... I can't pull the auger/impeller assembly out at all - that's my problem... I need to get behind the impleller to reattach the bolts that hold on the bearing housing.

Old 01-16-09, 12:22 PM
I can't separate the auger shroud from the impeller shroud.. unless I'm mistaken and don't see where they're bolted together... they appear to be welded together-

They are welded and have nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve, ignore the shrouds, use a bearing puller and pull that bearing off the impeller shaft, once the bearing is off the impeller shaft is able to come out

. When you say "Next you need to removed the bolts on the side of the auger housing and then you want to pull the entire auger/impeller assembly out. " I'm not sure what you mean...

On the side of the "shroud" where the auger is, there are 2 or 3 bolts holding the auger in on each side, they have to come out. Once the bolts are off and the bearing the whole gearbox, impeller and shaft and auger shafts will come out as an assembly.

Some machines have a bracket bolted to the top of the auger housing, you may have to remove this bolt as well.

Check the pic of the link I posted, it's my own artistic handywork with mspaint airbrush

auger

Old 01-16-09, 01:17 PM
Ah, ok... I agree it sounds like a bearing puller is the way to go... ok on the shrouds, I had already removed those bolts and expected to pull the whole assembly out... that's when I found out I was up a snowstorm without a snowblower... looks like I'm shopping for a bearing puller tonight...
The original problem was it stopped throwing snow... I thought a belt broke, but I took the top cover off and they were really worn but not broke.... then I took the bottom cover off and out fell a broken spring, a stripped bolt, and 2 washers. The bolt held the 2 auger pullies to the shaft and the spring was for the auger idle pully. I replaced the spring, the bolt, and all belts, including the friction rubber (man was it worn down after 14 yrs!)... cleaned the whole gear box area, regreased the gears, put it all back together and it worked. Turned it off and then saw a bolt lying on the floor... ? Then it's been downhill from there... it was one of the bearing shroud bolts. Argh... but all should be fine again once I pull it off (and put it all together again).

Thanks Again :-)

Old 01-16-09, 01:55 PM
craftdaddy, see if you can rent a puller unless you think you will have a use for it later. A good puller is not cheap.
Also, when putting the bearing bolts back in, I found it easier to install them in the holes while the impeller is out. Go to your local hardware store (bring a bolt with you) and get a push nut for each bolt (about 10-20 cents each).Push a bolt thru the hole and push on the push nut. This will hold the bolt in place while you re-install the impeller, then carefully install the bearing, then your bearing retainer.

Old 01-16-09, 02:18 PM
K, thanks - I was thinking it's gonna be tricky keeping the bolts in the hole while I mess with getting the impeller/shaft/auger assembly back in place. Was thinking I could put on the nuts until I'm ready for the bearing housing, and then very carefully remove them, put on the housing, and put them back on. I hope to get to it tonight, although I'm getting beat working in this cold... I'm in Albany NY... right now the frozen tundra... might hold off till tomorrow.

Old 01-16-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by craftydad View Post
I'm in Albany NY... right now the frozen tundra... might hold off till tomorrow.
I'm in Carleton Place Ontario Canada, supposed to be just as cold tomorrow, I spent 2 hrs yesterday putting together my new noma I built out of scrap parts, although it was fun blowing the snowbanks and lawn in the front of the house, dog need a place to pee.

Old 01-17-09, 08:05 AM
Well, I removed the blower housing from the tractor and borrowed a gear (pully?) puller... there's not enough space between the gear and frame to pull it off...
There's the bearing... and then some sort of thing right on top of it, which I'm not sure what it is... does anyone know? Is this part of the bearing? Is it a pressed-on doo-dad thing I need to pull off the shaft, and then the bearing will come off easily? The diagrams at jacks and other sites don't seem to show what this is...
Here's some pics to show my setup....

My set up:
Image of Setup - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Close up showing the 'thing' between the bearing and the splines:Image of Bearing and whatever just below splines - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 01-17-09, 09:39 AM
That piece on top of the bearing is part of the inner race of the bearing. Some bearing have this as a lock for the bearing.
Try to get the jaws of the puller on that groove. The hard part is goiing to be holding the jaws in the groove while you pull it. Do you have accsess to a bearing splitter? Installing a bearing splitter in that groove will give you the grip on the bearing as well as grip on the jaws.
here is a pic of a bearing splitter so you have an idea of what I am refering to.
Arcan Bearing Splitter | Shop Press Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 01-17-09, 11:26 AM
Nope, no bearing splitter... at this point I'm thinking sledge hammer :-)

I've got 2 of the 3 bolts in... there's not enough room between the impeller and the shroud behind it for my hand, but after removing the chute, which opens up a side port in which to work, I was able to use a long spring magnet my dad had to lower the bolt down to the hole and get them in. I only have 1 more bolt to go, but it's on the opposite side of the shaft when looking into the side port. I might ask my daughter, who has small hands to see if she can get in behind the impeller... I can't believe I'm doing all this just to get a a bolt in... argh...

One thing - once the chute was off, I can look straihgt down to the 2 spring pins that hold the impeller onto the shaft... I was able to punch them out, but I can not move the impeller on the shaft... it's apparently so old it's stuck.... not sure how to unstuck it... but if I could slide it down the shaft, it would open more room for me to get a hand or something behind the impeller to get the last bolt in.

Would penetrating oil work? I don't have any on hand but thinking that might work.

Old 01-17-09, 12:31 PM
From the picture it looks to me that it could be the excentric lock that holds the bearingon the shaft if it is there should be a couple of set screws in this collor if loosen thes andturn the collor to the left

Old 01-17-09, 01:33 PM
You are doing this the hardest way possible. Remove the bolts that hold the auger. This will free up the auger/impeller assembly. Moving that might give you just enough room to get the jaws under the bearing. Once you have the bearing off the shaft, you can remove the whole assembly and replacing the impeller spring pins will be so much easier.

Old 01-17-09, 01:53 PM
Indypower, I've had the bolts that hold the auger assembly removed right from the start... that's what giving me the little play/room I have under the bearing. Other than wigling the whole assembly around, there's no more room to get the jaws under.

However! :-)
I was able to get the 3rd bolt in with my hand without removing the bearing/shaft.... it took some doing, and some tape around my fingers to hold the bolt head between them, but finally got it. I put the actual nuts on as I wasn't able to get out to get the push-on nuts... I may replace them with the push-on ones just to be safe. In removing the chute, there's a couple of flat head bolts that broke off (rusted)... the flat heads are welded to a curved bracket that goes under the shroud... I'm heading out to get new flat heads and the push nuts...

There's a retaining ring (?) that came off (I didn't take it off, it just kinda fell out as I was working on getting the shaft out) ... looks like a large diameter split washer that's not twisted and its very thin so I'm assuming this is a retaining ring... it just sort of 'sits' on top the bearing... I don't see where it clips or anything... is this right?
If it clips in somehow, then I need to figure that out as well.

But I'm almost ready to put the whole thing back together... whew....

Old 04-15-09, 06:28 PM
Bearing question

I'm in a similar situation with my blower, l need to repair impeller on a TroyBilt 42012. I have it all apart, and housing separate from the tractor. Pulley is off, woodruff key is out, bearing eccentric collar is off (bearing is Fafnir RA012, 3/4" roller), but now I cant get the shaft out of the bearing. Should I remove the 2 bearing housing bolts and use a bearing puller, or should I press the shaft out of the bearing? I have a feeling loctite is used between bearing and shaft, so do I need to replace the bearing no matter what way I remove the shaft. What is best way? Thanks.

Old 04-16-09, 05:33 PM
Got it..

I used two C clamps with a steel bar across the shaft to gently push it through the bearing. Seemed much gentler than hitting with a mallet, and it broke free from the bearing just fine. I had a very small burr on the shaft where the woodruff key was, so used emery paper to smooth that out and popped out.

I'd still appreciate any feedback on whether I should replace the bearing anyway.