Toro SNO-Thro Stops

Old 01-18-09, 10:19 AM
Toro SNO-Thro Stops

I have a 1979 single stage S-140 with a Tecemseh 2 cycle . It starts good and runs like a champ for 5 minutes then stalls . I can't get going until it cools off. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-09, 03:48 PM
I'd start with loosening the gas gap a little. You might have vapor lock.

Old 01-18-09, 04:04 PM
If the gas cap trick does not work, try checking for ignition spark immediately after it stalls.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-19-09, 08:52 AM
IT's Spark

Tried it today and I ran it. I turned it off to put the covers back on. Went to try and start it and nothing doing. I took out the plug and grounded it and it would not fire all the time.
IS it most likely the Points & Condensor ? Mag Coil?

Old 01-19-09, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by 560Dennis View Post
Tried it today and I ran it. I turned it off to put the covers back on. Went to try and start it and nothing doing. I took out the plug and grounded it and it would not fire all the time.
Well, you did run it with the covers off, did it get wet? Make sure it's dry. How's the magnet on the flywheel - good and shiny? Have you removed the tank and cleaned/replaced the filter. Junk can be sucked up, then after it stalls, nothing pulls on the crap. It falls away, and you can start and run it again for 5 min.
My hats off to you for staying on it. After 2 winters with an s-200 that did the same thing, I junked it. I could have it running fine each fall, but whenever I NEEDED IT, it would run as you described. Even my buddy, who repairs stuff like this for money, gave up on mine. We both concluded only a new carb would help, and that was a cost I just didn't want to incur (since I bought the thing for almost nothing). Good Luck.

Old 01-19-09, 04:46 PM
Disconnect the ign kill wire & try again. These little units run a Suzuki engine & they must be getting to the age of tired ign modules..(I've had 3 this winter) If it quits with no spark after the kill wire is pulled off of the ign module, (have to remove fan shroud) then look to replacing the module... (pricey, tho), Good luck... Roger (You have tried a new plug, Right??)

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 01-19-09 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added question
Old 01-19-09, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by 560Dennis View Post
Start with points and condensor, they are likely shot on that old a motor if they haven't been replaced.