briggs 18hp twin cylinder won't start

Old 01-18-09, 05:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
briggs 18hp twin cylinder won't start

Hi all,

Bought an MTD riding lawn mower last week with an 18hp Briggs in it. Previous owner said it ran when parked years ago. Put in a new battery and tried to start it . Nothing. So I got my light tester out and checked wiring. I have power at the key, power in run and start positions, power at one side of the starter soleinod.
When I turn the key to start, I don't have power on the other side of the solenoid. I have jumped the engine by touching the positive terminal on the battery to the starter and it turns over. Is it the starter soleinod that is bad or am I missing else?
The engine numbers are model 422707, type1510 01, code 9311055A.

Thank you for any help,
Cory

Old 01-18-09, 05:20 PM
It's great that you got the model type and code numbers for the engine, but unfortunately the numbers we need in this case are the ones from the riding mower. They are usually located on a decal underneath the seat.

The problem most likely is the solenoid, but if there are 2 terminals on the side, then it could be a problem with the safety interlock. If you only have one terminal on the side of the solenoid, then I would clean the ground where the solenoid is mounted to the frame and try again. If it still will not work, then a new solenoid is likely needed.

Best of luck....

Old 01-18-09, 06:03 PM
H
Thanks for the info. The numbers under the seat are model # 144P849H205 and manufacturer # is 1K103B10019. It does have one terminal on the side of the solenoid. I will clean it tomorrow and try it again.

Thanks

Old 01-18-09, 06:17 PM
If there is only one terminal on the side of your solenoid, then make sure it's grounded properly and if it still will not work, then I would try a new one.

Best of Luck....

Old 01-20-09, 11:29 AM
H
I followed your advice and it ended up being the solenoid was bad. Now it turns over good with the key. The new problem is that the engine isn't firing at all. I have checked both spark plugs and both plug wires and am getting no spark. Is it going to be the armature that is bad or could it be something else?

Thanks,
Cory

Old 01-20-09, 12:02 PM
H
A big duh on my part. I forgot that I had to sit on the seat for it to fire. Started right up with a little gas in the carb. So now tomorrow I will work on getting it to run by just turning the key. Hopefully. I'm betting on the carb. needing cleaned at least.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: