Cub Cadet 528SWE Snowblower surges then stalls

Old 01-19-09, 03:48 PM
Cub Cadet 528SWE Snowblower surges then stalls

I have a Cub Cadet 528SWE snowblower that wont start. I try the pull start and get nothing. I then tried the electric start which gets the engine running but it just surges then stalls. It runs at full power as long as I prime it but when I stop priming, it stalls. I have only used this thing 5 times. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Another thing I noticed is that after you pull the starter cord, it seems like something continues spinning a second after it is pulled. Almost like something is spinning free.

This would have to happen when there is a foot of snow on the ground!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-09, 07:25 PM
The carb is varnished up. If you're an average mechanic, take it apart, soak it in a cleaner from NAPA and blow it dry with compressed. Reassemble and you're good to go.

However, if you're not the best at mechanic stuff, get a can of Sea Foam from Walmart, add double the concentration recommended on the can to the fuel tank with a quart of new gasoline. Then get it running for a couple of minutes, shut it off, let it sit for about a half an hour, then repeat. Then add enough gas to bring the fuel/Sea foam mixture up to the recommended level.

It should clean it up.

Old 01-22-09, 12:19 PM
I took it apart and got it running again. Thanks for the help.

However, I noticed something strange. When I took it apart, there was nothing holding the carb to the intake. It was basically held together by the cover plate, which the carb was bolted to. Now, as a temporary fix, I placed a bolt through the two to hold them together. It runs like a charm. Is there any hard in this method? What typically would hold the carb and intake together?

Old 01-22-09, 02:09 PM
2 bolts go thru the carb flange and hold it on the intake. You really should have a gasket between the 2.

Old 01-22-09, 06:30 PM
I cant believe they werent there. Ill have to buy a gasket and then a couple bolts that fit better than what I have. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-09, 06:53 PM
How about engine make, model and type #'s