Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub Cadet 528SWE Snowblower surges then stalls

MD

01-19-09, 03:48 PM   #1  
Cub Cadet 528SWE Snowblower surges then stalls

I have a Cub Cadet 528SWE snowblower that wont start. I try the pull start and get nothing. I then tried the electric start which gets the engine running but it just surges then stalls. It runs at full power as long as I prime it but when I stop priming, it stalls. I have only used this thing 5 times. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Another thing I noticed is that after you pull the starter cord, it seems like something continues spinning a second after it is pulled. Almost like something is spinning free.

This would have to happen when there is a foot of snow on the ground!

Sponsored Links

IA

01-20-09, 07:25 PM   #2  
The carb is varnished up. If you're an average mechanic, take it apart, soak it in a cleaner from NAPA and blow it dry with compressed. Reassemble and you're good to go.

However, if you're not the best at mechanic stuff, get a can of Sea Foam from Walmart, add double the concentration recommended on the can to the fuel tank with a quart of new gasoline. Then get it running for a couple of minutes, shut it off, let it sit for about a half an hour, then repeat. Then add enough gas to bring the fuel/Sea foam mixture up to the recommended level.

It should clean it up.

MD

01-22-09, 12:19 PM   #3  
I took it apart and got it running again. Thanks for the help.

However, I noticed something strange. When I took it apart, there was nothing holding the carb to the intake. It was basically held together by the cover plate, which the carb was bolted to. Now, as a temporary fix, I placed a bolt through the two to hold them together. It runs like a charm. Is there any hard in this method? What typically would hold the carb and intake together?

NH

01-22-09, 02:09 PM   #4  
2 bolts go thru the carb flange and hold it on the intake. You really should have a gasket between the 2.

MD

01-22-09, 06:30 PM   #5  
I cant believe they werent there. Ill have to buy a gasket and then a couple bolts that fit better than what I have. Thanks for the help!

MA

01-22-09, 06:53 PM   #6  
How about engine make, model and type #'s

Search this Thread