Tecumseh carb questions/problems

Old 01-23-09, 09:03 AM
Tecumseh carb questions/problems

i have a OHM110-22703A on a go-kart. the first problem is i cant get it started cold. i have to use a quick shot of starting fluid to get it running. once it's running and good & warm i can shut it off and it will start right back up first pull as long as its warm. i've tried no choke, half choke, full choke, and nothing seems to help. it doesnt have any kind of primer bulb on the carb either. any suggestions? fwiw i'm in south florida, so when i say starting it cold, thats really like 70-80 degree weather.

my other problem is once i get it running, sometimes it runs fine and other times it bogs down and stalls out when i give it throttle. so far i have taken it apart, soaked the metal parts in carb cleaner, blown compressed air thru every hole,jet/nozzle i could find. i know there are 2 orings from looking at the breakdown. i just bought 2 of them from a Tecumseh dealer but confused exactly where they go. i know one goes behind the jet on the bottom. does the other go ON the nozzle or just underneath it between the nozzle and spring? any other thing it could be?? what else can i check? thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-09, 12:50 PM
Here is a breakdown of your carb. This carbs are a PIA. They sell a bowl kit that is reference #25A on the IPL, but unfortunately it is not giving a PN. I would suggest asking your parts supplier if he can get this and then you just snap it on. Cost is about $16-$18. maybe someone on here can chime in with PN# Trust me it the way to go.

Parts and Diagrams for Tecumseh 640289-TEC

Old 01-23-09, 01:04 PM
i went to a Tecumseh dealer and there isnt a carb "kit" for that model. at least not one he could find. he looked for awhile and seemed to know what he was doing. i went ahead and ordered pretty much all the parts in it. they only had the orings in stock. i found the kit you refer to for some VERY similiar models that looked exactly the same but i didnt want to roll the dice of special ordering it and it not be right. i guess worse come to worse i can buy a complete new carb for 60 something bucks. and your right these carbs are a PIA. stupid design in my opinion. i will try replacing the orings first and see what happens. i cant tell in the breakdown if that oring is supposed to go ON the nozzle or underneath it. the nozzle has a groove on it that the oring fits in perfectly???

Old 01-23-09, 02:20 PM
One O-Ring goes on the groove on the bottom of the nozzle, the other fits inside the float bowl behind the jet that is held in by the drain screw.

These carburetors may look complicated and hard to work on, but they are the simplest and easiest of all the Tecumseh carburetors to work on. Heck all you have to do to service it, is snap the clip off and the whole thing comes apart for service. You do not even have to remove the body from the engine to service it.

Old 01-28-09, 07:55 AM
i have this engine on a go kart.(which i got for free cause it wasnt running) i recently noticed there is no linkage going to the governor. i do see a lever for the governor though. how critical is this linkage? when the engine is running it doesnt sound like it's over revving to me. if anything, for an 11hp, it doesnt seem to be putting out the power it should be.

Search this Thread