New generator backfires

Old 01-24-09, 08:49 AM
New generator backfires

Hi guys, I have the neighbors Coleman 5000 watt generator here. It's 3 years old but never had fuel or oil in it 'till last week. The engine (Tech LH358SH, 159502Z, 05267JH0033) backfires & surges with no load on it. The carb looked clean inside, but I've soaked it, removed welsh plugs, run wire & carb cleaner & compressed air thru all passages & jets.

I also checked valve adjustment (0.010 on both) & replaced both gaskets on the intake & the spark plug. The float level is right (maybe a little high now) & I have a good flow of fuel from the tank. It will idle fine, but I need a 2000 watt load on it to smooth it out @ running speed.

Can you think of something I'm missing?? I can't see why it won't run. Has anyone ever had to replace a carb on a new engine????
Thanks, Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
SOunds like you covered all bases. I find this problem once in a while with tecumsehs. I think the fixed jet carbs are set too lean sometimes. Does this one have the small brass jet that threads into the side of the carb just above the float bowl? If so, and you are very sure the carb is completely clean and all seals are good, take a torch tip cleaner from a welders supply shop and open the tiny hole in the end of this jet a tad. Not even so much that you can see the difference. Just open it a couple thousandths of an inch and see if it works better.

Old 01-25-09, 05:22 PM
Thanks Cheese, I kinda tried that, but maybe didn"t go big enough. I'll try tomorrow as tonight I have to get the snow off the garage roof because the ice is backing water up under the shingles.. Glories of winter in the Ottawa Vally.. Thanks again, Roger