John Deere L130 smokes

Old 01-17-09, 06:45 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John Deere L130 smokes

Hi everyone, I have a John Deere riding mower, L130. About 6 mos. after purchase, I noticed that it would smoke almost every time it was started, that is after setting overnite. If the engine had already been running that same day, it would not smoke at start up. I took it to dealer for warranty reasons. They told me that the rings hasn't seated yet and not to worry about it for now. It seems to me more like valve seal problem than rings. any one have suggestions?

Old 01-18-09, 08:24 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Usually what you're describing points toward valve seals. If the ring seating was the problem you should have been having the problem from day one to present. The rings won't seat, then unseat. Another possibility would be the head gasket.

On a horizontal cylinder you can get seepage through the rings in an overnite sitting of the engine if the rings haven't seated in. In a vertical cylinder that wouldn't happen.

Old 01-18-09, 08:35 AM
A
What is the engine model number, etc.

What grade oil do you use in this engine?

Old 01-24-09, 01:12 PM
W
Kohler only puts valve seals on the intake valves only (on this engine). I replaced seals on intake and found out that they will also fit the exhaust also, so I put seals there also. This seems to have fixed my problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: