Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I need a new engine for a 1980's 1032 John Deere Snowblower

01-24-09, 04:00 PM   #1  
I need a new engine for a 1980's 1032 John Deere Snowblower

I bought a used John Deere 1032 monster snow blower over the summer. the this has been a champ all winter but died last week. I'm a big do it yourself kind of guy, but I don't know anything about engines. The guy I bought it from put a new 9.5 Briggs and Stratton on it. I had a guy out to my house to look at the engine and he showed me 2 pins (i think control pins) and 1 was broken in half and the other was bent. He said it's not a great engine. I need help with what kind of engine to buy and what makes a great snow blower engine. I have been looking on line, but I need someone to tell me what I need to look at when I buy a new engine. Any help is greatly appreciated.: confused: Bottom line: if it is going to be $250 to fix it or $350 for a new one, that is going to last I will pay up for it.

Sponsored Links

NH

01-24-09, 05:28 PM   #2  
In 1980, your John Deere snowblower was made by Ariens for John Deere. (I just had one in my shop). It originally had a Tecumseh (HM100) engine on it. The HM series has been superseded by LH series. Here is a link for engines:
Tecumseh Engine Search by Small Engine Warehouse
You should decide what brand engine you want as Tecumseh is no longer making engines. The company was bought out by investors Nov.2007 and they decided they did not want to make small engines anymore and closed the last plant Dec.18 2008. They just wanted the A/C part of it.
So, original Tecumseh parts are going to be hard to find in a couple of months. But there are so many Tecumseh engines out there, that the aftermarket will fill the void as much as they can so parts availabilty will only be an issue if you need a complete block, intake manifold, crankshaft, camshaft.
I agree that B&S has not ever made a good snowblower engine, but unfortuneatly, that is what we will be seeing on many snowblowers next year. Ariens, Toro, Craftsman have already announced they will be using B&S engines next year(that is if Sears survives until then).
What ever engine you decide on, use Synthetic oil in it to make it last longer.

01-24-09, 05:35 PM   #3  
Thanks for the info.. 1 more question

With that company out of the race, what features should I be looking for? Does more horespower matter? Are there engnines that are made more sturdy than the B&S that I already broke? Surely some sells small engines that are better made and will last forever that are a little more money? Again thanks for all your help. I really only want to do this once.

NH

01-25-09, 06:35 AM   #4  
First of all, just how much $$$ do you want to put into a 25-30 year old snowblower? Are all the bearings/bushing good? Is the drive in great shape? Do you want to spend $300-$400 on a new engine only to find next time you use it the drive stops working and now you have to spend another $200 or more to fix it? Add it all up, including the price you paid for it, ($150?) you could buy a brand new snowblower for another $200.

No one makes an engine that lasts forever.
As far as horsepower on a snowblower, stick within the range that was originally on your snowblower 9-11 hp. Horsepower doesn't make that much difference on a snowblower as the EPA has set max rpm on spinning metal (lawnmower blades, snowblower impellers). I have an 8hp-24" wide, my neighbor has a 5hp 24"wide. Same brand. His throws snow just as far as mine does.
Kohler makes good reliable engines. Next year you are going to see snowblowers with Kohler engines as they are just getting into making snowblower engines. (yes, they have been making horizontal shaft engines forever, but they have been mainly for warm weather use).
You do need an engine that is made for cold weather use.

01-25-09, 08:33 AM   #5  
I just bought a 10HP NOMA with a blown motor for $150 and then bought a dead compressor with a honda gx240 on it, be it only 8hp it still is better than the 10hp tecumseh I put on it originally. So I've got $300 into a great machine. It can be done on the cheap, the 10hp tecumseh sitting on my garage floor was bought for $50, $18 for a carb kit and $8 for a head gasket. It comes down to how fast do you want it to be fixed, if you wait and search around used tec motors, one can be had for cheap, I also have a 8hp as well that I bought off the news groups for $50.

Pick yourself up a used honda GX270 and put it on the john deere, just make sure the shaft size is the same and the motor DOES not have gear reduction. You may have to drill holes and move chute controls around but once you are done you'd have a kick A$$ machine.

MA

01-25-09, 08:33 AM   #6  
Could you post the model and type of the Briggs engine. I am curious of the "control pins" could you explain where they are located. there is not engine part called a control pin, maybe a push rod?

let us know.

MN

01-25-09, 10:41 AM   #7  
....use Synthetic oil in it to make it last longer.

Really? I have a 97 Toro 824 and if that'll make it last longer I'm all for it.

Any preferences on brand? We have a Car Quest in town, they should have something.

Thanks

Baldwin

01-25-09, 12:37 PM   #8  
push rods

1 broke in half and the other one was bent. I just spoke to the guy who is working on it, and he told me there are some scrpaes in the engine so it would have to be rebuilt anyways. At this point the question has to be wether to replace the engine or go buy another macheine. I bought the deere for $300 so I am in to this quite a bit.

Modle number : 9.5 powerbuilt snow overhead valve.
Family Number: 6dsxf3422ht 276454

PS: If I do replace the engine what other parts on the macheine it's self should I look at before making that decision?

NH

01-25-09, 12:39 PM   #9  
Posted By: Baldwin Really? I have a 97 Toro 824 and if that'll make it last longer I'm all for it.

Any preferences on brand? We have a Car Quest in town, they should have something.

Thanks

Baldwin
Synthetic oils are so much better. Yes it cost more, but it lubricates better, reduces gas consumption, and you do not have to change it as often. I run it in my 03 ram 1500 truck and change the oil once a year. EPA gas mileage is rated 17 mpg highway. I get 20-22 mpg. I run it in my 8/24 snowblower and have gas left over after snowblowing where as before I would run out with 2 passes left to go. Any name brand (Valvoline,Mobil1,Penzoil, Castrol) is fine. I personally prefer "Royal Purple" which NAPA carries.
Royal Purple Consumer Products
But, since I became an AMSOIL dealer, I use that.

01-25-09, 12:44 PM   #10  
B&S Engines

Can anyone tell my in the B&S Line-up of small engines which ones are the best and why?

01-25-09, 04:53 PM   #11  
Probably the intek snow engine, it was enginered for snow use.

Search this Thread