Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Yard machine snowblower carb froze

01-29-09, 03:19 PM   #1  
MTD Yard machine snowblower carb froze

I purchased a used MTD Yard machines snowblower 4 1/2 hp
21" with a Tecumseh engine HSK845 last summer and it started and ran fine.The on/off key switch sometimes would not kill engine. Found green wire from switch to coil not tight.
Thought all was good. I am disabled so shoveling snow is out of the question. I was hoping this would make it easier.I pulled the snowblower out of the shed as its a good ways from my house a few days ago and left it on my patio so it would be accessible for me before the big snow we got.Temperatures were below 20 degrees and I did have summer fuel in it.I did not know there was a difference.The carb I found had frozen solid when it would not start. Took it off,melted the ice in it,an used computer air spray to blow all water from carb.Got it to run but still had same problem with not shutting off.When it would shut off it would not restart.Changed plug and put all new fuel/oil mix.Was able to get it to run a couple different times by pouring a little fuel into spark plug cylinder.Will not start at all now. Is carb shot?Float is compressed inward.I don't have a lot of cash to take to a shop. Any and all information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks, Randy PS Had on/off switch tested showed good.

Sponsored Links

IA

01-29-09, 04:04 PM   #2  
In terms of summer fuel vs winter fuel, there is some difference is the vaporizing characteristic of it - winter does so a little more easily. It has to do with its use in fuel injected engines. However, that isn't where you got that kind of moisture in the float bowl. You need to completely empty the fuel tank of everything and clean out your storage container for fuel for the rest of winter. I'm sure there's plenty of snow left this year.

The carb should be ok, but as far as your float, I would replace it. They aren't too expensive and since you already have the thing apart you really don't need to take it to a shop to finish the job. Then you'll be ready for the next blizzard.

NH

01-29-09, 04:29 PM   #3  
Yes, replace the float. Tecumseh floats have a bad habit of developing pin hole, causing them to allow gas to get inside them and becoming "sinkers", not floats. I would also add Isopropel dry gas to the gas tank at the rate of 2 oz. per gallon.
How you got water in the gas is a question. Could be the gas station had water in the tank. You have a plastic gas tank on the blower, so condesation is out. Are you using a metal or plastic gas can? Metal will form condensation due to humidity and temp changes, where plastic won't.
Ya got to keep water out of the fuel system.

01-29-09, 04:35 PM   #4  
MTD Snowblower carb froze

Thanks I will replace the float tomorrow.I will post if this is the problem. Thanks again,Randy54mo

01-29-09, 04:41 PM   #5  
I will replace the float tommorrow.I have a plastic storage tank. I do not know how water got into carb. Thanks for the help and I will let you know the results. The unit has not been used at all before I purchased it.The carb had no deposits anywhere in it.
Thanks again, Randy54mo

01-30-09, 12:51 PM   #6  
Thanks for the fix. Thanks marbobj and indypower

Changed out Float and added iso (can't spell it) alcohol to new fuel and runs great. I really appreciate it. Randy54mo

Search this Thread