Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda G150 Carb Question

02-01-09, 08:03 AM   #1  
Honda G150 Carb Question

I have a Honada HS35 snowthower with an 3.5HP G150 engine. It starts right up on the fist and second pull. Once it warms up and I start to open the choke I can only open the choke about half way before it starts to spudder. At half choke it seems to run great. But when running I can smell gas and I can see it dripping at times on the ground. So is there way way to adjust to the fuel mixture? I did't see anything to adjust. And from looking on web it looks like they can not be adjusted due to EPA. Is this true. If how do I correct this? Do I need to do a carb tear down and rebuild? Is this the Jet that controls this.

Sponsored Links

02-01-09, 09:36 AM   #2  
As for the leak sounds like the needle and / or seat sticking. The main jet being restricted will cause the spuuder. Remove the float bowl and check for contamination, if present remove carburetor and clean all parts with carb cleaner and compressed air. In the spring time be sure to empty gas from the float bowl before summer storage. These are very simple carburetors to work on so you should be able to figure it out. Last resort install new carb kit. Hope this helps.

IA

02-01-09, 09:38 AM   #3  
The source of the problem is likely a dirty carb. The half choke is compensating for the varnish in the running circuit. With the choke on you get extra fuel going through the carb throat somewhat unmetered. That could be what is showing up in the dripping.

The solution would be a carb cleaning first - either tear it down, soak it in cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. If you go that route there is a NAPA cleaner that is recommended.

I like to use Sea Foam for an on engine cleaner for a first try. I get good results from it. You can get it from Walmarts and auto parts stores. Since you have the engine running, just follow the directions on the can for a gasoline additive.

02-01-09, 12:35 PM   #4  
Thank for the info. I will try the sea foam since I have that. As for the carb being dirty or have varnish. That is possible, since I just purchase used and so not know the history of the blower. I will post my results of the sea foam once I try that. As for a carb tear down that I will have to do in the spring. I only use this to clear the snow off my deck.

02-01-09, 07:00 PM   #5  
Spraying it won't do, it needs to be removed and soaked. I have a GX240 that was acting the same, I sprayed it an it still wouldn't run off choke, half only. These carbs are easy to fix, plastic float and needle setup, piece of cake.

02-02-09, 04:50 AM   #6  
Thanks I was not planning on spraying it. I was kust going to add Sea Foam to the Fuel. In the spring I will pull it apart and soak it. I've rebuilt carbs before for others in the family or my own machines that that I lend out for the season and get them back with gummed up carbs. I always uses Fuel stablizer ad when the season is over I use fogging oil will storing for off season.

Search this Thread