Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower impeller engages, auger turns freely...

02-01-09, 11:42 AM   #1  
Snowblower impeller engages, auger turns freely...

I have an old Ariens 2-stage snow blower. Yesterday while clearing my porch I hit a stick which wedged the auger and stopped the snow blower. Now I can start the snow blower and engage the impeller but the auger does not engage. It rotates freely whether the impeller is engaged or not. The shear pins are still intact. I can turn one end of the bolt and the other turns as well so I don't think they broke. There is no grinding or friction when I rotate the auger.

Any ideas out there? I'm wondering what might be the problem or if this is even going to be worth fixing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

MA

02-01-09, 11:47 AM   #2  
There is a roll pin inside the gearbox that you most likely sheared. Send me the model number so I can look up to be sure.

02-01-09, 01:34 PM   #3  
The model is 10995, s/n 042813. If you think that is the problem, is it easy to fix? With parts locally available?

Thanks

MA

02-03-09, 06:32 AM   #4  
Here is a link to the parts breakdown. It is item # 49. Can be tricky to replace but can be done through oil fill hole. I find it easiest to remove auger assmbly so it can be tipped to allow looking down into hole. Be sure old pin is punched out, do not worry about retrieving.

' + objMainFrame.getCopyrightMessage(objMainFrame.getCurrentOEMDesc()) + ' -- Ariens Consumer: [10995-027601 24\" Sno-Thro Attachment]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last edited by smallengineguy; 02-03-09 at 06:52 AM.

02-28-09, 01:37 PM   #5  
Same issue

I have the same issue with mine unfortunately. I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to get the roll pins out to be able to pull the shaft out of the auger? Thanks

Search this Thread