Craftsman Snowblower "Can't increase speed from idle" bogs & dies!

Old 02-01-09, 12:12 PM
Craftsman Snowblower "Can't increase speed from idle" bogs & dies!

Please Help! Last summer I bought a really nice 20" Craftsman Eager-1 Snowblower at a garage sale for $15. Looks like it was used only once or twice. Has chains also. My research shows it being manufactured June, 1978. It has a Tecumseh 5hp engine, #143.665082 - Ser. #82858 (Snow King?) Unit itself is Craftsman # 536.905903. Problem I'm having is: Once started, it idles, but once the throttle is increased it bogs down to nothing and dies. Starts on first pull when warm, but if you increase the speed just alittle bit, it dies. I replaced the Tecumseh carb from Sears #631916 cost $75. This made no difference! Gas cap is off fuel tank. New fuel line. No air cleaner, timing seems ok because it fires so quick. I disconnected the linkage to the governor arm from the throttle plate thinking the gov. had something to do with it, but I move the t. plate just alittle, and it still bogs and dies. I can only adjust the idle screw a few threads till it pushes the t. plate to the point of stall. I have spent hours adjusting the mixture screws, gov. spring settings, checking for air leaks you name it, I've done it! I was a car mechanic for years, now retired, and this one has me really stumped! Sure hope you can help, we currently have 6" of snow with more coming! Thank You! Masterofneon Ft. Wayne, In.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 12:21 PM
1) Have you checked compression?
2) What settings do you have the mixtures set at?
3) Have you checked gas flow from the tank?

I like to start with simple things 1st. You said you have gas cap off, on inside of some caps there is a cone breather, either rubber or alum. Often this falls off and floats in the tank so there is gas at start up but then when engine calls for fuel it gets pulled over the tank screen restricting gas flow thus causing engine to die. It then floats so you can start and repeats itself. Take a look in your tank to be sure it is not in there.

Old 02-01-09, 01:04 PM
Yes, Engine has great compression, Checked that the first thing last summer. Thats when I figured it was time to replace the carb. Fuel tank is clean and free of all obstructions. Nothing floating and no residue or particles. It's a white 1/2 gal plastic tank, and very easy to see inside. When fuel hose is removed from carb, fuel flows good. The Tecumseh (Snow King) # for this engine is HS50-67142B, Craftsman # is 143.665082
I just can't imagine the NEW Tecumseh carburetor # 631916 I installed is bad. I'm having the same problem with new carb that I had the first day I brought the machine home.??? Please keep the responses coming. I need any help anyone can offer. Thank You!

Old 02-01-09, 01:04 PM
You appear quite qualified to do your own diagnosis and repair. Over the years, I've prided myself many times, but many times overloooked the obvious. You didn't say if you got good steady flow of fuel out of the tank itself. If there's a shutoff on the tank, there may be a screen on it going into the tank, and that is partially gunked up.

Old 02-01-09, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by masterofneon View Post
Yes, Engine has great compression, Checked that the first thing last summer. Thats when I figured it was time to replace the carb. Fuel tank is clean and free of all obstructions. Nothing floating and no residue or particles. It's a white 1/2 gal plastic tank, and very easy to see inside. When fuel hose is removed from carb, fuel flows good. The Tecumseh (Snow King) # for this engine is HS50-67142B, Craftsman # is 143.665082
I just can't imagine the NEW Tecumseh carburetor # 631916 I installed is bad. I'm having the same problem with new carb that I had the first day I brought the machine home.??? Please keep the responses coming. I need any help anyone can offer. Thank You!
OKAY - disregard my msg. I was composing mine same time you were responding.

Old 02-01-09, 01:13 PM
Agreed, I mentioned this in my 1st reply. I also asked what setting you had the carb set at. Bottom screw should be turned in until seated and then backed out 1 1/2 turns. Side screw 1 turn out from seated,

I would try those setting and if problem persists even though it is a new carb I would check float adjustment. if set to high there could be just enough gas to start and then it is seating. With carb off and upside down it can be set by laying a 11/64 drill bit across body between float. You can adjust by bending needle tab. In your case you I would suspect too wide a gap and you would need to close a bit. Adjustment should be down without bowl gasket.

Old 02-01-09, 01:37 PM
SMALLENGINEGUY, Sorry, My Bad! Forgot to post about the carb settings. Yes, They were set as you quoted. Once I got the engine running, I tweeked them in to where it runs half way good, but as you know, the main can't be tweeked till I get some faster RPM's. but as far as idle screw, it's set at just about 1 1/4 turns. Main is set at about the same. Engine does pop and miss once every few seconds, but I got it running to where it maintains a constant LOW rpm.
CHUCKRET - There is no fuel shut off, so no screen inline to get clogged. Thanks for your replies, PLEASE keep them coming, I'm here at the keyboard waiting. THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 02-01-09, 01:48 PM
SMALLENGINEGUY: When I first received the new carb from Sears, I did check float level along with needle and seat just to make sure nothing got knocked around during shipment, all looked good. As stated, This crazy thing is acting the same way as the old carb did! I could have save the $75 I spent for the new carb. As a matter of fact, once I installed it last July, I was NOT a happy camper once I got it running, and seen it was acting the same way.

Old 02-01-09, 01:53 PM
pop and miss every few seconds, hmmm.

Are you using virgin gas from the pump? stale gas, water etc can cause these issues

Old 02-01-09, 01:55 PM
Gas is about 3 weeks old. Have it in plastic gas container.

Old 02-01-09, 03:41 PM
Pop and miss. Could be spark plug(install a new one) or possibly a bad coil.

Old 02-18-09, 05:05 PM
Masterofneon-
I have the same model that you have. I am actually having the total opposite issue that you are having. I think with my issue of too high of a throttle, that i just need a carb rebuild. From the looks of it, it hasnt been touched......ever..... I think your issue might be a bad coil. I would check out your fly wheel to see if there are any chunks missing out of the magnet, or maybe check the wiring that goes to the plug itself. There was a sears lawnmower i had a while back that was acting funny, and the flywheel was cracked to the point that it was baiscally missfiring. I have one question for you though, do you have the owners manual for this machine? The guy i bought this from didnt have it, and the sears website is hard to follow as far as quality goes with the diagrams. I plan on rebuilding the machine in the summer with all brandnew bearings, belts, and chains.