Ryobi Weedeater No Spark

Old 02-01-09, 03:38 PM
Ryobi Weedeater No Spark

Hey guys! I've got a Ryobi 825r weedeater that doesn't have any spark. I've changed the spark plug and I pulled the kill switch out and tested it to make sure it was working properly. It was. Any thoughts on what my next move should be? (Other than get rid of the Ryobi) Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 04:46 PM
Inspect the wire from the switch to the ignition module to ensure it is not chafing and grounding the ignition module.

Check the air gap between the ignition module and flywheel magnet surface. The gap should be 0.008 to 0.012 inch. If the gap is out of limits adjust to limits and test for spark. If no spark or gap was within limits, you will need to replace the ignition module.

Old 02-03-09, 03:34 PM
Well, the wires and the gap checked out so I guess I 'll try a new module. Thanks for your help Airman.

Old 02-12-09, 04:51 PM
Well I got the new module today and put it on, I gapped it to .010 and it still doesn't have any spark. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Old 02-12-09, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you grounding the spark plug to the engine while checking for spark?

Old 02-12-09, 07:43 PM
Once you master the sequence of choke settings the 825r is a trimmer that just won't quit.

What made you think it wasn't getting spark?

Just curious not trying to insult any intelligence

When mine goes on a spat of hard starting, new plug and all is good.

Old 02-13-09, 02:43 PM
Well I was holding the plug against the engine with my hands and got no spark, but after Cheese's message i thought I'd try again to make sure. Pulled the plug and tried again and had spark. I guess I didn't have the plug wire on tight enough or something. Got it running, but I've got a vibration and the attachments aren't working, so I'm gonna pop it apart again and check that out. Probably don't have it lined up just right.

Old 02-16-09, 09:02 AM
Make sure the trimmer head has both lines of cord, just one will shake it around.

Old 02-16-09, 02:27 PM
I went back and checked it out. When I bolted the shaft on, I didn't get the drive cables lined up. Once I fixed that it mellowed right out.