Craftsman snowthrower carb - clean or replace?

Old 02-01-09, 06:05 PM
Craftsman snowthrower carb - clean or replace?

Greetings

First the numbers: Craftsman 536.886180
Engine Tecumseh
Model: HMSK80 155606V
Carb number: 5002J7G

The snowblower will start and run. The engine has a tendency to hunt for the proper RPM range. I took the air box shield off the engine and observed that the governor was casing the RPM fluctuations.

Based on the threads I have read here I know that the carb needs to be cleaned. Since we are expecting snow here starting tomorrow, and because I do not have a rebuild kit, I pulled the bottom bolt out of the fuel bowl as a temporary measure and cleaned out the main jet. After reinstalling the fluctuations are still present but not as pronounced.

Here is the question. The carb has no adjustment screws on it. There is one top screw which appears to limit the governor's ability to open the carb. Should I clean and rebuild the existing carb or look for a replacement? My only comment on the original carb would be that the engine never run real well. Even when the machine was new.

If you are suggesting I replace the carb which model and number?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 06:47 PM
If you have lots of money sure go ahead and buy a new carb, they are about $100+ at a dealer, $80 on ebay. Kit is $18 and carb cleaner cost. I would only recommend replacing a carb if it is destroyed by water rot and can't be cleaned.

Old 02-02-09, 08:28 AM
I looked up your model on the Sears site. Sears gets $90 for the carb. I agree with cpgixxer. Very rarely have I seen a carb that can not be rebuilt. Only time I have seen one that is not rebuildable is if it has been sitting outside for a few years with no use or if it has been sitting full of water.
The kit you need is Tecumseh number 631021B. This kit contains needle, seat and float bowl o-ring. Kit goes for less than $10.
I would remove the carb (take photos of the linkage first), take it a part, soak it(including the main jet, bolt on the bottom of the float bowl), blow out ALL holes. install the new kit and reassemble.

Old 02-02-09, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by cpgixxer View Post
If you have lots of money sure go ahead and buy a new carb, they are about $100+ at a dealer, $80 on ebay. Kit is $18 and carb cleaner cost. I would only recommend replacing a carb if it is destroyed by water rot and can't be cleaned.
All my prices are Canadian!!! LOL

Old 02-02-09, 10:34 AM
yeah just change the carb it will be much more cheaper.. let me check the part number..

Old 02-02-09, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by sl33p3rs View Post
yeah just change the carb it will be much more cheaper.. let me check the part number..
How do you figure it's cheaper to change the carb then to rebuild it. I can put in 5 kits and have 5 good carbs to 1 new one.

Old 02-02-09, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by sl33p3rs View Post
HUH? $90 for a new carb, $10-$20 for a kit and around $50 to have a shop rebuild the carb, that still only comes to $70. Where I come from, even $70 is less than $90.

Old 02-02-09, 04:58 PM
if it still runs, why not give it a big gulp of sea foam in the fuel and let it idle for a while.....turn it off and let it sit, then start it up again......the sea foam will work while the machine is at work also, so why not try that first and u may not have to take it apart at all.Beer 4U2

Old 02-02-09, 07:53 PM
indypower (and others)

I know that the carb on the motor could be cleaned. I have to apologize if I was not clear on my question.

The only reason I would consider replacing the carb was to end up with an adjustable model as opposed to the unit I have which has no idle nor high speed adjustments available.

So, I will repeat the question. Do I clean and service the existing unit or search for an adjustable carb? And, if you suggest an adjustable carb which model do you suggest?

Steve

Old 02-03-09, 06:01 AM
Steve,
You will NOT be able to get a new adjustable carb unless you can find 1 on Ebay. The feds made it mandatory to use fixed jet carbs in the early 90's to control air pollution. Factories had to stop selling adjustable carbs or face a fine per carb sold. So, you can only find an adjustable carb from a private seller and that 1 , I am 99.9% sure, it will be used. Since it has been close to 20 years since the ban, the likelyhood of finding a NEW adjustable carb is nill.

Old 02-03-09, 08:31 PM
Understood - so I take it off and clean it. Thanks.

Old 02-04-09, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2ndgencamaro View Post
Understood - so I take it off and clean it. Thanks.
That's why I have a spare carb, if I need an adjustable one. And you can get them still, I have found them as NOS in some engine shops.