Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowthrower drive doesn't disengage

NJ

02-01-09, 08:45 PM   #1  
Snowthrower drive doesn't disengage

Iíve got a ~4 yo Husqvarna snowthrower, (1030 STE XP). Often, when I release the drive lever it will keep going for a bit (sometimes quite a bit). I think the sticking is going on underneath rather than in the handle. I took a look at the mechanism, but I donít see anything missing, loose, or broken under there. Should I try lubing it and, if so, with what? Iím between that and getting a stronger return spring. Iím certainly open to ideas.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

NH

02-02-09, 08:44 AM   #2  
return spring could be stretched. or could be the control rod needs to be adjusted.

NJ

02-02-09, 11:30 AM   #3  
The spring could be stretched and I could try another. Somehow I don't think it is an adjustment. When the drive doesn't disengage (if I'm not trying to avert disaster) I'll watch the externanal parts of this linkage. The lever (for lack of a better term) in the rear of the housing will move about half way and stop. The spring and rod that extend up the the hand controls appear to be slack. If at this point something bumps the machine, the lever will move the rest of the way.

NH

02-02-09, 01:52 PM   #4  
Posted By: barryds The spring could be stretched and I could try another. Somehow I don't think it is an adjustment. When the drive doesn't disengage (if I'm not trying to avert disaster) I'll watch the externanal parts of this linkage. The lever (for lack of a better term) in the rear of the housing will move about half way and stop. The spring and rod that extend up the the hand controls appear to be slack. If at this point something bumps the machine, the lever will move the rest of the way.
Ok. That being the case, it needs to be lubed. Pick up and hold the machine off the grouond by the handle bars. (I use a "come-along" attatched to a cable around the rafters in my garage). Remove the "belly" pan. Follow the" lever" and see where it pivots. Spray the pivot point(s) with a good penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and work the lever by hand (may have to disconnect the rod) until it moves freely & snoothly for the full range.

Search this Thread