Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Noma snowblower auger belt shredded

02-03-09, 04:58 AM   #1  
Noma snowblower auger belt shredded

Hello I have a Noma snowblower since 1996 33 inch with 12hp motor. It has worked great till last year when the auger belt shredded. That I can understand ,but since then I have relaced the same belt 5 times. about 1 for every storm.
I am following the instructions to the letter re-adjusting the guides the pully and the cables. the belts are still wearing out
or streching. Does anybody have a clue what I am doing wrong ? thank you.

Sponsored Links

NH

02-03-09, 06:19 AM   #2  
Where are you buying the belts and what type of belts are they? If you are buying a regular automotive V belt, that is your problem. You need to buy belts that are made for outdoor power equipment. They are made to take the punishment of engagement & dis-engagement where automotive belts just spin the alternator and water pump stress free. The good OPE belts are woven.

02-04-09, 07:03 PM   #3  
I've got a Noma myself and finding parts is always a pain. As far as belts, check out this site: [URL="http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8491&sm=4&maxhits=20&category=MURRAY-NOMA&maxhits=20&keywords=belt"]http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8491&sm=4&maxhits=20&category=MURRAY-NOMA&maxhits=20&keywords=belt[/URL]

Also, as far as shredding of belts, never happened to me and I work mine pretty hard during storms. Check your belt pulleys for proper and free movement. Also, with the motor OFF, engage the belt lever and watch the belt. Ensure that the belt guides are not inadvertently causing damage to the belt as it would travel. These are adjustable.

10-26-09, 01:55 PM   #4  
Hi, I have a Noma snowthrower since 1993 27" 8hp (Tecumseh Engine) model #D2784-010. It has worked great untill I found auger belt almost worn out the past summer. So I bought a replacement v-belt from Jacksmallengine says the correct part # is Murray 581264 belt-V, 4L 35.6 LG4M4. Anyway, I replaced both drive belt and v-belt. No trouble for the drive belt, but I have trouble to set it in with v-belt. My problem is:

After putting back the tension spring, setting in the brake pad and engaging engine pulley, I couldn't get the belt back in to the lower big pulley and set in place. Does anybody have a clue what I am doing wrong ? Do I need to use brutal force to set the belt in place or any tool I need to set it in? thank you.

MA

10-29-09, 06:01 AM   #5  
why are you "engaging" engine pulley? this would tighten belt. the auger belt is a loose belt and only tight/engaged when handle is squeezed. --to install be sure handle is not engaged, place pulley on large pulley first, then you should be able to get 1/2 on engine pulley, pull recoil rope slowly and this should work belt onto pulley

12-12-09, 08:23 AM   #6  
belts

I have the same problem - I have a Noma N1232El: 12hp 33" dual auger and it throws belts. The problem is that it's a 33.5" V belt. You can get a 33 and a 34" but the 33.5 are impossible to find.

I am attempting a 34 at this moment while moving up the throttle pully - hopefully this will give me the tension I need. I can't seem to figure out how that spring loaded armature goes down though

Non-US

12-14-09, 08:32 PM   #7  
Mr Doug,, get the right 33.5" belt,,, Trust me, the extra you pay for it will save you a lot of headaches in a snowstorm,, Most OPE dealears should be able to get the right belt.. Call around,,, Roger

Search this Thread