Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Carb

02-03-09, 05:33 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Carb

Hi all, I am in need of a carb kit and possibly a float for a Snow King snowblower with an 8hp tecumseh engine. I have seen other post here but am not sure the parts would fit my model. What numbers do I need to supply??? All I can find are on the back of the blower. 508250E.....601120 and serial number 343171. This looks like a great forum, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

NH

02-03-09, 06:36 PM   #2  
You need the engine number HMSK80 is probably the engine you have. This number is located in 1 of 2 places. Older engines it is on the top of the fan housing, under the electric start button(if equipped) and yes, you will have to remove the button. Newer engine have a tag on the side of the lower fan housing on the left of the recoil almost on the bottom. You almost have to stand on your head to see it.
631021B is the basic kit. Contains needle, seat, and float bowl o-ring. Need the engine number if yours is older and has adjusting screws. The screws are different sizes for different engines and the kit for these does contain the adjustment screws.
Float number 632019. Same for all Tec snowblower carbs 5 hp & up.

Last edited by indypower; 02-03-09 at 06:38 PM. Reason: float number

02-04-09, 06:52 PM   #3  
Techcumseh Carb

Thanks Indypower, I will stand on my head and check it out. Always looking for a project for the weekend. I will keep you posted....Oh as you mentioned the electric starter, it never worked right, I would plug it in and hit the button and it might engage for a second and then nothing....maybe the solenoid?

IA

02-05-09, 06:03 AM   #4  
Probably the starter problem is in the brushes or the rotor surface for them. When it's acting up tap on the starter with a block of wood. If that makes it take off, its at the rotor/brushes.

You can take it apart and free up the brushes or put in new ones and clean off the rotor surface for them. Sometimes that gets it going again.

If the block of wood doesn't convince it to do anything, check for current at the starter connection with a test light. You may have a bad starter switch.

02-07-09, 11:21 AM   #5  
Tecumseh Carb

Thanks marbobj for the tips on the starter.
I got the engine number and it is HM80 no s or k between the HM and 80. Which card kit would I order? Also I have some other news...The carb was frozen..the float was incased in ice when I initially took it apart, the float seems to have a dent in it but is still tight with no leaks. When I shook the carb I did not here any noise as I thought I would (emulsion tube ball)? The carb has some rust inside and when I pulled the bowl off the float valve just dropped out, there was no clip for it. So as far as I can see if the carb is still good I would need o-ring for the bowl, a new float needle and clip, perhaps welch pulg, high speed needle as it is pitted, intake to carb gasket. Anything else? And please coment on the emulsion tube, thanks for your input.

Search this Thread