Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens 924048 belt tensioner spring

02-05-09, 05:54 AM   #1  
Ariens 924048 belt tensioner spring

The spring attached to the belt tensioner on my Ariens has broken. I have the replacement, but having trouble installing the new spring. Very hard to reach location. This is the belt that drives the wheels. It appears I need to remove the main pulley, this has also been a challenge as the locknut seems to be frozen. Does anyone one have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MA

02-05-09, 11:25 AM   #2  
remove the auger assembly and the bottom panel and you should have easy access

02-07-09, 03:22 PM   #3  
Ariens 924048 tensioner spring

Thanks - I can see where the spring attaches to the tensioner arm now. However, I can not see where the other end attaches. There is a smaller spring that engages the blower attachment, that is attached in the frame, but it does not appear the spring I am trying to replace goes there as well. Appreciate your help. I do have a picture, not sure if I can upload it here.

Last edited by fehnel; 02-07-09 at 03:47 PM. Reason: title

MA

02-08-09, 08:27 AM   #4  
There should be a hole the size of a quarter just above axle bearing, the end of the spring simple goes in there. Yes it is easier to remove drive pulley, an impact wrench works best if you do not have improvise. Get a box wrench on the nut and hit wrench with rubber mallot, it should free right up. I imagine you have already hit with some penetrating oil, if not do so.

02-08-09, 04:35 PM   #5  
I did manage to get the pulley off and now see where the springs goes above the axle. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread