Engine replacement

Old 02-05-09, 07:02 PM
Engine replacement

I have a Coleman 5000W generator that I loaned to a friend. I picked it up today and brought it home to service it and discovered that he run it dry on oil and broke the connecting rod. I can hear metal parts jingling around inside. Anyways, I am trying to decipher the engine numbers to determine needed information and need help. I think it will be cheaper to replace the engine that to rebuild. Model: 19G-412 Type:1180 E2 Code: 980615Y0
Can anyone help me, please!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 07:10 PM
It will probably be cheaper to get a replacement engine than rebuild, however that is your choice, below is the IPL for your engine. Have a good one. Geo
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...100/MS0432.pdf

Old 02-05-09, 07:23 PM
I agree on the replacement engine, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I appreciate the help.

Old 02-05-09, 08:19 PM
Doesn't northern tool handle replacement engines

Old 02-06-09, 05:00 AM
Is your "friend" going to pay/ help pay for the engine?
Mike

Old 02-06-09, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by circuit1 View Post
I agree on the replacement engine, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I appreciate the help.
Bring the engine numbers to your local lawnmower shop and get prices. You want to stick to using the B&S engine that was originally on it. Don't even bother thinking about a Chinese piece of crap. Buying from your local shop supports your local economy and he can do any warranty work.

Old 02-06-09, 06:57 AM
The "friend" who borrowed the generator just left on a fishing trip, so I will let him know when he returns. I may not request him to pay for it but instead, he told me the other day that he now has aluminum welding set up so I will most likely keep that in the memory bank for future projects or repairs.

I tried the internet searching for a replacement engine model that I could then purchase locally.

I completely support the local economy and my local lawn and garden shop. In fact in 1988 I purchased an Ariens GT20 with every implement available including the loader from them.

So I will take the number to them and see what it will cost, it may be more cost effective to just replace the whole thing. Too bad though the generator worked great.

Thanks all for the great information

Old 02-06-09, 08:15 AM
Briggs and Stratton show no replacement for 19G412-1180. They do list a short block part number 497538.

Neither of my sources has a 19G412-1180 engine. You may be hard pressed to find a 19G412-1180 engine but you never know.

Briggs & Stratton Short Block - Part No. 497538

Good luck

Old 02-06-09, 08:56 AM
Small Engine Warehouse's site offer some helpful info:

Coleman 5000 Watt Briggs Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse

Old 02-06-09, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
This is a good deal that bontai Joe came up with.

My Briggs distributor could not get this engine. I have purchased engines from Small Engine Warehouse before and they are easy to do business with.

It has been a few years since I have done business with Small Engine Warehouse. I like what they have done with their website. The feature to find an engine for a specific piece of equipment is very helpful. Their prices are not far off what I get engines for. I like the discounts on scratch and dent engines. For the DIY person this is a good store.

Old 02-06-09, 04:15 PM
That is an excellent deal bontai Joe. I will be ordering one on Monday. Thank you very much