Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

eager beaver chain saw

02-07-09, 12:59 PM   #1  
eager beaver chain saw

Hello fellow tinkerers,

Bought a used McCullough Eager Beaver chain saw and have to get it running in top form again. It runs but not too long. Have new gas in it and have reset H and L mixture screws and the I to all the way in and then back out a turn and a half. It does fire but does not stay running long. I suppose there is a site to download a users manual. I'm using a 40 to 1 mixture ratio. Should an older model be 50 to 1?

Sincerely,
Broken Nuckles

Sponsored Links

IA

02-07-09, 04:22 PM   #2  
If you go to the manufacturers site there is usually a download for the owners manuals. As far as the 40 or 50 : 1, the saw won't know the difference, but that should be in the manual.

If the little critter is dieing after a short run, check the venting on the fuel cap - it could be clogged or otherwise faulty.

From there, I would think in terms of a carburetor kit. The diaphragm in the carb that does the fuel pumping may be ready for a do over. That is usually the problem. However, check the cap and the fuel filter as well.

02-08-09, 01:27 PM   #3  
I'll check the cap vent and the fuel filter. It's and older machine and may need to try a different site other than McCulloch for the owner's manual. Thanks. I does seem to die out after a short run and or the choke has been pushed in.

Search this Thread