Alloy or Xenoy

Old 02-07-09, 03:36 PM
Alloy or Xenoy

Hi.
I have not posted since I refilled and bled the hydrostatic drive on my Honda lawnmower and brought it back to life.
The machine is now 12 years old and running ok but I think the engine needs new rings and possibly a piston as well. Very stiff to start and lots of smoke.
I have been looking at the new Honda models and have a choice between an Alloy or Xenoy deck.
I have always had an Alloy deck and know nothing about the Xenoy. How tough is it. I pick up some stones and the occasional dog's bone and bits of branches when I mow. How scratch/score resistant is the Xenoy.
I would like some advice from anybody who has experience with the Xenoy.
I live in Ireland and the 21" Hondas with hydrostatic drive are upwards of 1500$.

Wolf.

(The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time)

Last edited by wakyck; 02-07-09 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Remove smiley
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 04:39 PM
as a demo i once drove my truck front wheel up on top of a Xenoy deck. no damage. i really like them when you are in a sandy turf condition. i've seen no issues with the material and compared to alloy, when you take a chunk out of aluminum it will cost you dearly to repair.

Old 02-07-09, 04:50 PM
Thanks flopshot. So harder than steel but lighter. I suppose Honda would not be using Xenoy unless it was good. The machines with alloy decks are more expensive so that's why I'm wondering.

Old 02-07-09, 11:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think honda has a lifetime warranty on the "xenoy" decks now...don't take my word for it. I generally prefer plastic/polymer over metal when it comes to sand and wear situations. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it.

Old 02-08-09, 03:26 PM
Hi cheese.
Thanks for the reply. These new machines do look good and they are much lighter to transport. The newer engines are a lot quieter and stronger as well. The new stock is coming in now so I can have a better choice. The one I'm looking at has a built-in mulcher (Honda Versamow System) with a 6HP engine and Xenoy deck (21").

Old 02-08-09, 04:45 PM
Before I go I'm looking at an eBay item here. It's a (used once) Honda GCV160 engine off a lawnmower standing at 20 (english pounds) with 20 hours left to bid.
However it has a black top. My Honda GCV160 has a red top.
What machines use the Black Honda engines as I wonder if it would go onto my deck. It will probably go for 50 and would be a bargain for that.