Craftsman 11hp power propelled unit

Old 02-07-09, 08:38 PM
Craftsman 11hp power propelled unit

Hi folks,

First post here. Did a quick search and didn't come up with anything so I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction.

I've got a Craftsman 11hp 5 speed power propelled snow thrower Model# 536.882702. Unit is in great shape with the exception of the transmission. Craftsman is telling me that the tranny unit is no longer in production so I'm out of luck and I have yet to trip over a site online where I may be able to score either a used tranny or an entire unit to scavenger.

MY question: Is there any way - short of conjuring spirits - to determine whether the transmission possibly crosses over with other Craftsman "power propelled" units i.e. mowers, tillers, tractors etc. ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 06:22 AM
I don't know why the Customer Service people at Sears stores always say "that part is no longer avaiable". I think they just don't know how to look for it.
Anyway, your snowblower was made by Murray, who went bankrupt in 03. B&S bought what was left at the bankruptcy auction. I went to SearsPartsDirect.com and found the tranny.
Trans part# 794279A $216.69 in stock. Trans model # 143.746which is a Tecumseh made transmission. (so if you need one, buy it now since Tecumseh closed its last plant Dec.18,2008).
You can order it directly on the Sears site.

Old 02-08-09, 10:23 AM
Thanks Indy I should know better than to listen to someone on the other end of the phone w/o double checking myself...

ANYway.. After posting this, I found someone in the area with a fairly impressive small engine "junk yard". If I wanted to cheap out on this, as opposed to coughing up the 200 clams for new, and scavenge (or more politically correctly "recycle") any idea if there is a relatively simple way of determining what other (if any) equipment a Tecumseh trans unit 143.746 may have ended up in?

Old 02-08-09, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
I don't know why the Customer Service people at Sears stores always say "that part is no longer avaiable". I think they just don't know how to look for it.
Anyway, your snowblower was made by Murray, who went bankrupt in 03. B&S bought what was left at the bankruptcy auction. I went to SearsPartsDirect.com and found the tranny.
Trans part# 794279A $216.69 in stock. Trans model # 143.746which is a Tecumseh made transmission. (so if you need one, buy it now since Tecumseh closed its last plant Dec.18,2008).
You can order it directly on the Sears site.
Miked266,
Shop around, you may find a better price.

Indypower,
Husqvarna purchased the Peerless segment of Tecumseh. Don't know if they will keep the entire lineup active or just what they use in their line of equipment. Also, Kohler is coming out with a snow engine. Chinese made from what I read.

Search this Thread