Follow-up to my Toro 521 Snowblower issues....

Old 02-08-09, 12:52 PM
Follow-up to my Toro 521 Snowblower issues....

History - Original Post

So, finally had some nice weather and went outside to work on her a bit. I didn't connect a new ground wire yet, but I checked and have a strong spark at the top of the plug - and at the bottom of the plug - yet she still won't fire up. I ran her out of gas last year as I always do. I assume the carb is the next to tear into and ensure the fuel is properly flowing. What else should I look for? Please provide your $0.02.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 01:27 PM
Even though you ran it out of gas there was still a little left in the bowl. Below is a procedure, however if your carb has the adjustment screw in the bottom of the carb screw it to seat counting the turns so it can be reset after cleaning, the bowl nut may have 2, 3, holes so look carefully.
Procedure:
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

Old 02-08-09, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
Even though you ran it out of gas there was still a little left in the bowl.
Thanks - I actual was impatient and just checked the bowl - all clean.....hmmm.....

Old 02-08-09, 03:05 PM
But was the bowl nut clean, it is usually the problem on Tec engines. Have a good one. Geo

Old 02-08-09, 03:48 PM
Pour a teaspoon of gas down the spark plug hole. Install spark plug. Try to start. If it runs for a second or 2, then your problem is in the carb. As geogrubb said, there are many pin holes inside the carb. Doesn't take much to plug these. You need to take apart the carb and soak it in a carb cleaning solution. Including the main jet (plug in bottom of float bowl).
After rinsing off, blow out (with compressed air) ALL holes in the carb. Then re-assemble with a new carb kit.

Old 03-01-09, 12:28 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to help me with this......I finally got around to working on it (they are calling for 8-12" tonight) and it was the main jet. Blewit out with compressed air and she fired right up! Not having an off switch (since I had to cut the frayed ground wire to the coil), I had to choke it to shut her down, but it felt great getting her running again! THANKS ALL!!!!!