Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh won't shut down

02-08-09, 05:04 PM   #1  
Tecumseh won't shut down

I have a Tecumseh HSK845 in a 21" MTD snowthrower. I bought it new about 12 years ago and never did a lick of maintenance on it except to add some sta-bil to the gas. Never had a problem starting it but now I have a problem stopping it. When I turn the key to "off", it just keeps running strong. Last time it ran for about 5 minutes before it started sputtering and finally quit. Prior to shutting, the engine will rev down, like it's going to shut down, but then rev up to normal idle again. It did this about 7 or 8 times before shutting down. Any ideas?

Additionally, not sure this is related, but I also noticed a very slow gas leak recently. Seems to be coming from an area other than the carb, somewhere further south. When I tip it up, the leak goes away. What's my best course before I start disassembling?

Thanks,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-09, 05:32 PM   #2  
Sounds like the kill switch or related wiring is to blame for the stopping problem. The leak will have to be tracked down... does the oil smell like gas?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

02-08-09, 06:04 PM   #3  
These engines usually have 2 shut-offs on them.
1 is the key, which you pull out, not turn. Key is plastic.
The other way to shut them off is to move the throttle lever all the way down. Doing this, contacts a ground that shuts it off.
sounds like you may have a rusty ground switch. Had 2 in my shop earlier this season with that problem.

02-08-09, 07:30 PM   #4  
Cheese,
Yes, it's definitely gas. I was wondering if there's a "typical" spot on these engines that may be the culprit.

Indy,
My key is actually metal. I'm guessing the ground switch is in line with the key switch? Are they one in the same?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-09-09, 12:44 AM   #5  
Does the engine oil smell like gas? (pull the dipstick and smell it)

God bless!

02-09-09, 06:27 AM   #6  
Cheese,
There is no dipstick or engine oil (that I know of). I add 50:1 to the gas... It's a 4.5hp engine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-09-09, 09:13 PM   #7  
Oh...2-stroke. I don't know anything about snowblower engines, which is why I rarely try to answer questions about them. I got brave this time, and see what happens? lol!

I'll leave it to the guys who know....

God bless!

Search this Thread