Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EX650

02-10-09, 12:28 PM   #1  
Honda EX650

I'm working on a friends generator , history is as he tells it only 20 hours before he let it sit for a year . I removed and cleaned the fuel tank , disassembled the carb and cleaned it all out . Now I've found there is no cylinder compression at all . Is it possible the valves or rings are gummed up ? Should I do a leakdown test ?

Sponsored Links

TN

02-10-09, 07:01 PM   #2  
It is possible something is gummed and stuck. If you have a leakdown tester do the test. It will tell you where the compression loss is.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-10-09, 08:02 PM   #3  
Have you pulled the valve cover to see if a valve is stuck? A leakdown test will show you if this is the case but I think you're gonna have to pull the valve cover anyway, even if it's not the valves sticking...so pull it and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-12-09, 09:50 PM   #4  
I pulled the head off and found the intake valve stuck open . I soaked the valve with carb cleaner and let sit for awhile and finally got it loose .

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-13-09, 10:34 PM   #5  
Good job. Thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-16-09, 08:47 PM   #6  
Well I installed the new headgasket , torqued the head . It starts first pull every time . I warmed it up and changed the oil and ran it for 15 minutes , set the carb , no leaks ! Done deal . Great site you have here , I'll be spending more time here in the future . Thanks .Beer 4U2

Search this Thread