Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snowblower

02-12-09, 03:33 PM   #1  
snowblower

i have a craftsmen # 538909400 snowblower. the auger quit turning so i tighted the belt but that didnt help . anybody out there who could help me with this problum i would greatly be appricated.

thanks

samsno1

Sponsored Links

02-12-09, 04:29 PM   #2  
Any shear pins on this snowblower?

NH

02-12-09, 04:45 PM   #3  
First of all, the model number you listed is wrong. It should be
536909400. Your problem hopefully is that both shear pins are broken. This is a cheap fix as they usually less than $5 each. They are also the easiest to change. Just rotate the auger until you line up the hole in the auger with the hole in the shaft. The hole in the shaft may not be a visable hole as the bolt shaft is broken off in the shaft hole and you will need to use a punch to drive it out.
The second thing (and very expensive and takes longer)it could be is the gears in the auger gear case are stripped and need to be replaced. The gear itself can run $80. Sears has the gear as no longer available. Since this snowblower was made by Murray, you may be able to find 1 somewhere on-line.

Search this Thread