Briggs and Stratton Fuel Pump problems

Old 02-14-09, 02:26 PM
Briggs and Stratton Fuel Pump problems

Hey guys. I've got a Troy Bilt Shredder with a 8hp Briggs that's not getting any fuel. I've rebuilt the fuel pump, changed all the fuel lines and the filter, and drained and cleaned the tank. Its got electric start and after cranking on it for a while, there's no gas going to the carb. The float bowl is dry and the pump is too. I'm guessing I've got something backwards or switched around along the way. The model, type, and code are: 192437 0125-01 9510181B.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the fuel line to the pump clear? There isn't a fuel shutoff under the tank is there?

Old 02-14-09, 04:37 PM
Check the gas cap. Vent may be plugged. Lossen the cap and try running it that way. If it runs, then you have a plugged vent hole in the gas cap.

Old 02-14-09, 05:51 PM
I had the tank out and its a straight shot from the tank to the fuel filter, then to the fuel pump. Its all new line too. And after reading some other threads on here, I tried loosening the gas cap but still nothing. I tried cranking on it several times for 5 or more seconds each time. I can feel some suction at the carb and at the breather tube.

Old 02-14-09, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the engine have compression? I'd say you still have problems with the fuel pump unless it has a broken rod (the piston movement is what operates the fuel pump).

Old 02-15-09, 10:14 AM
I would say it has compression. Like I said, you can feel a suction at the mouth of the carb when cranking on it, and it will run off starting fluid sprayed in it.

Old 02-15-09, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by jbh327 View Post
I would say it has compression. Like I said, you can feel a suction at the mouth of the carb when cranking on it, and it will run off starting fluid sprayed in it.
Since it will run when spraying starting fluid in the carb, I would say the carb needs to come apart and be cleaned. Sounds like a piece of dirt got in the line and is blocking the needle/seat in the carb.

Old 02-15-09, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If fuel was getting to the carb, I'd say the same thing, but not if it isn't even getting into the pump. I think you have the pump connected wrong, assembled wrong, or something is blocking the line.

Old 02-15-09, 06:34 PM
I was wondering if I might have switched the lines by mistake. Its got 3 lines, one from the fuel filter, one to the carb and one coming from the engine for vacuum. I know the carb line is right. I have the line from the fuel filter going into the pump where the spring is that does the pumping of the diaphragm. Do you think this is right? Or should the vacuum line from the engine go there? Let me know what you think, and I might try switching those lines tomorrow after work.

Old 02-16-09, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jbh327 View Post
I was wondering if I might have switched the lines by mistake. Its got 3 lines, one from the fuel filter, one to the carb and one coming from the engine for vacuum. I know the carb line is right. I have the line from the fuel filter going into the pump where the spring is that does the pumping of the diaphragm. Do you think this is right? Or should the vacuum line from the engine go there? Let me know what you think, and I might try switching those lines tomorrow after work.
Yep I would say you have your fuel supply line where your vacuum line should be.

I am looking at a similar engine and the fuel pump on this one has two connections close together and the third offset near the center. The lone connection is the vacuum, the fuel supply is the connection closest to the cover of the fuel pump and the one behind that to the carb.

Old 02-16-09, 04:05 PM
Well I switched the fuel inlet and the vacuum lines and thd thing fired right up. Only problem is once it fired it sheared the key holding the big shredder wheel on. Lucky the cover was off and it just fell in the floor. Hopefully some keystock will solve that. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Search this Thread