Honda Generator EB6500sx low oil sensor

Old 02-15-09, 05:54 PM
Honda Generator EB6500sx low oil sensor

I have never had a problem with my generator until yesterday. It stopped after a few minutes with a load or higher rpms. On the lower idle auto-throttle mode it would not stop. I changed the oil and the spark plug, cleaned the carb sediment bowl and the air filter without solving the problem.
Then when I disconnected what I think is the yellow wire to the low oil pressure sensor, the problem was solved.
Questions: should I just keep it disconnected and check the oil level frequently and run it as needed? What is the ultimate fix? Can I do it myself?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-09, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're sure it is full of oil? I rarely ever see a honda oil level sensor go bad, but it happens. I'd test the sensor to be sure it is in fact faulty. Does the engine tilt a bit, causing you to get a full reading on the stick, but allowing the oil level on the sensor side to be low?

Old 02-15-09, 06:25 PM
my gen will do that if the level gets even 1/8th in low so make sure your oil level is perfectly full and level.

vegetarian old english for he who starves in winter.

Old 02-15-09, 07:46 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. No, the oil level is up to the brim. It hadn't been prior to me changing it. And I have been operating it on level concrete since the issue appeared [was just doing routine maintenance when this happened yesterday]. Usually when I use it, it is on gravel and not necessarily level, but that has never been a problem.
Thanks again.

Old 02-16-09, 07:14 AM
By disconnecting the yellow wire, you removed the ESS Unit from the system. You can run the generator but will have to monitor oil level.

Assuming the serial number of your generator is greater than 1013805. Generator troubleshooting varies by serial number. Measure resistance between wire terminal and body of ESS Unit. Resistance should be 500 to 10,000 Ohms at each terminal.

If the serial number of your generator is not in the range I mention post back and I will look it up.

Old 02-19-09, 05:59 PM
Hey Airman,
I finally got a chance to check the serial number and it is lower than what you posted: 1011840 to be exact.
What do you think?
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-21-09, 05:34 AM
DonnyV,
The information I gave before does not apply to your generator.

Send me a PM with an email address and I will send you a scan of the checkout procedure and a service bulletin that details problems with the Oil Level Switch.